Swollen Glands in neck? PLEASE READ!

Posted , 34 users are following.

So a few days ago i had some neck pain, mostly stiffness. I shrugged it off. But then the next day, it started throbbing and twitching.Then my wrist started feeling achy and so was my legs..it was like cramps.This is happening on my left side by the way. So the "swollen gland" is feeling so weird and is twitching  and throbbing that im constantly holding my neck. My cheeks, nose, and eyes are feeling fuzzy. I also sometimes have to rub my eyes. A few times i get throbbing like headaches. 

I wouldnt say that my throat hurts but, I have thick mucus which is sometimes hard to swallow and have the feeling of a lump in my throat. Sometimes feel a crackling when i swallow. I also sometimes get a little bit dizzy or unbalanced.

The "swollen" gland is a little bit red, and isnt really a lump, but is stretched and tender. The gland on my armpit is also feeling a bit squishy.  I went to the doctor and she prescribed antibiotics (only took 1) she is also checking if there is an infection. 

Im also having GERD like symptoms....so i feel miserable. 

SOMETIME HELP ME KNOW WHAT THIS IS.

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It all started three months ago I woke up with a cold but that was exspected because I sleep next to the vent so three weeks pass and I feel better two weeks later I my throat hurts on one side then moves to another but soon went away the following week I woke up with the whole left side of my abdomen hurts bad from breathing to moving through that day I got sick by the time I got home I was dizzy sick and having sweats and heat flashes amd i noticed a lump when i swallowed the next day it was gone but I still went to the er he did an z-ray of my chest for pneumonia but he said it was fine and I had a typical cheat pain and prescribed me ibeuprophen and said my thyroids where a little enlarged so i should get it checked out I went home and started taking the pills but they did me no justice .. But prior before that I had went to the doctor months before for bad chest pain and sharp body pains and was told I had acid reflux but I doubt it a month later I'm at a friends and I feel nauseas to the point where looking at food made me want to throw up so I didn't really eat and I was two weeks late for my cycle so I brushed it off as possible my being pregnant so couple days later my intestines felt like they where moving or twitching but I brushed it off as well so a week went by I had cramps and my right ovary started hurting realllly bad and that's not normal for me and BOOM my cycle came and I was devastated I started to oanick because I thought I was having a miscarriage and I just tried to calm down and lay down I looked up what I was feeling and ectopic pregnancy came up for what I was feeling and I freaked out and all of a sudden my shoulder tip started hurting so I just waited till my cycle went away and once it did all HELL began , I started having intense body pains from my shoulders radiating up into the back of my neck , collar bone and my head it was so painful , it lasted for days non stop then I woke up yo fell as if the pain from the back of my neck forced its way to the front of my neck causing pain and it felt full so I went to the doctors and they took blood and checked for my thyroids but it took two days plus the weekend so in between that I got really sick around the fourth of July I wake up with painful swollen lymph nodes in the sides of my neck they felt as if they were bursting with sharp shooting pain and I was weak , dizzy , could barely stand up or eat I was very nauseas I was hot and my left side of my ribs were hurting so bad they were throbbing i was beyond scared i thought i was gonna die so of course I call a nurse for advice she told me most of what I described sounded like anxiety and to try to relax but if I need to go to the er so I was like ok . a couple days later the blood test results are back and they're normal I was p*ssed off because I knew and still know something is wrong and my boyfriend and mom swore it was all in my head it wasn't but I just tried to believe the blood test that didn't work to well because win still in pain and its really my neck but now I have a gurgling stomach and symptoms of acid reflux so I'm confused I looked it up and it said it could be due to acid reflux or throat cancer which eventually I diagnosed myself with , I feel very sick still in pain my throat still hurts and I feel sick behind my nose but I'm not sick if that makes any since the neck pain has be radiating up onto my ears which feel clogged my jaws and my teeth and NY muscles have been twiching I been crying for the past month everyday and praying but I dont know what more to do I'm scared I could be dying or something and I'm afraid of having throat cancer and I'm 17 I'm going to the er friday and I hope they can tell me what's wrong and send me to a ent I hope its nothing life threatening .. everyday I just want to give up i rry to tell my self some of my symptoms are due to anxienty ... I feel so defeated and sick and I can't stand to be in pain had anyone exsperienced this before ?

• Posted

Do you smoke? Have you taken any antibiotic like Amoxicillin I've been taking those for a week now and my swollen gland looks to be going down I've notice the lump on my right side of neck underneath my jaw , I also have an infected molar there which I think is causing my glands to swell. Amoxicillin is doing a bit of the job I noticed the swollen when I was cleaning my ears , I usually stick my finger and see how far my finger can touch the ear wall and I notice my right ear was enlarging to the point my finger was not even a cm in and I could feel a swell of bump , I panic I'm thinking Cancer all this time but I think it's our own panic attacks that sets us to think the worse. Although when I do smoke weed I feel a mild pain in my right lung which stops after a few hours , sometimes my right arm hurts as if it's in need of blood maybe bad circulation and weed and low blood circulation is related. Also have sciatica which is not letting me sleep well at night. I'm more worry about my pain in my lung now that radiates from my neck lump to the back of my shoulder blade as if the smoke frighten that area when I was younger that area also use to constrict as my muscles will make my jaw close and lock maybe muscle related but if any has any advice please feel free any natural remedies will be best thanks I often drink lemon and honey I cut down to two blunt per day I died to do 5 a day.

• Posted

I have been going through the this type of stuff for a little over a year. Diagnosed with mono 2 years ago. Same thing as you though with the glands and jaw issues. Ithe sounds like I smoke just as much as you do on a daily basis and as of this past week I've felt a lump sensation in my throat and upper chest. I described it as feeling as if there's something stuck in my throat and no matter if I drink water or keep swallowing the sensation does not go away. I'm a super active person and work non stop. Love my job and life and have minimal stress. 4 months ago my lymph node under my right armpit began to get swollen and I was experiencing random numbing/tingling in my hand and fingers. I went to the doctor and it was large enough for him to be concerned had blood work done, chest x-ray, and unlrasound of armpit. The only information I was told after is that however it being swollen everything else was clear and appeared to be within normal ranges. In the past month my lymph node under my armpit has finally shrunk in size however now I am experiencing a lot of your symptoms and I'm definitely uneasy feeling about it.

The only other side effect I feel I have been experiencing is is upper back pain mainly lower shoulder blades. I guess I smoke cannabis daily and am not sure if coughing is the culprit. Going to the docs tomorrow for my annual check up and will be going over things with him. I'll definitely update the page. Best of luck to all. Positivity is key

• Posted

*apologies for typos, my auto correct is terrible in my phone.

Other note is I am a 24 year old fit/active man.

Only family medical history consists of minor heart disease and my mom has rheumatoid arthritis and Sjogren's syndrome. I am blood tested yearly and have never showed any signs.

An update on your end would be great!

• Posted

Any updates? I am experiencing similar symptoms
    • Posted

Did you ever get tested for parvovirus or fifths disease?
  • Posted

I'm experiencing something similar...

Ever get a diagnosis?

• Posted

Hey so I have had very similar symptoms mine has been going on since June and now the doctors are looking at Guillain Barre syndrome and I'm booked in for a spinal tap/ lumbar puncture tomorrow so fingers crossed I have been in hospital previously as what ever this is has taken over my whole body but like you has mostly affected my left side it's almost like a partial paralysis but I would definitely look into Guillain Barre Syndrome!

• Posted

Ive had very similar symptoms for months now but im not entirely sure what it is. I was diagnosed with pancolitis about a year ago now but before the diagnoses i was in a flare for a year along with getting somekind of bug. Ive seen a rheumy to do with my joint pain dizziness fatigue to the point some days i cant walk at all . I get headaches all the time. Stiffness in my spine and my glands always feel swollen . Sort of feels like a heavy pulling feeling in my jaw and neck and my ear usually feel full. My rheumy believes i have arthritis from my UC but i dont have any swelling in my joints. Im also taking sulfasalazine but im not sure about the side effects either to much. Did you ever find out what was happening with your glands..
    • Posted

Hey I have fifths disease(human parvo) and it has caused some major joint and muscle pain. The pain migrates all around. Tingling and numbness and sore glands.
  • Posted

Hey Ophelia-

I'm having the exact same problem after a bad cold. Did you ever find out what the problem was? Let me know.

• Posted

I am actually pretty sure it was some type of infection. When I took the antibiotics, the pain and symptoms went away (regarding to the neck issue). Sorry for replying so late, havent logged on in about 2 years,yikes!​
  • Posted

Did you ever find out the cause? Reading this I can't believe how similar what you have, is what I'm experiencing!! I also have pain in cheeks, eyes and pressure like headaches and feeling. I have so much mucus or nasal drip it's awkward to swallow and feels like a lump! My gland is swollen but not causing pain. I have a buzzing or crackling sound sometimes when swallowing. Stiff and sometimes painful neck and really bad acid reflux or GERD. Is it all joined up I wonder? Would love if you could get back to me

• Posted

Hi Rebecca-

My apologies for the late response. No I haven't found out what the problem is. Although, I did go to ER weeks ago and they said you have to wait for the eardrum to open up. It's weird. I feel like I have a sore throat but I don't. I'm going to bring this to my doctors attention next week. This problem started after a bad cold. It's so annoying. Im thinking they might have to drain the mucus from the ear.

Have you been to the doctor?

• Posted

Didnt realise it could be your ear, I thought mine was sinus infection and acid reflux. No I need to go this week when the kids go back to school. Do you still have all the symptoms still? Like the thick mucus and lump when you swallow or the pressure feeling behind cheeks and eyes and the headaches??
    • Posted

Yes the lump when I swallow. I also found out Friday that I had acid reflux. That could be the problem as well. I had a pressure headache for three days. But my ear feels clogged.
    • Posted

If you think you have acid reflux take Maalox. They have me that in ER and it worked instantly. But they gave me prescription meds too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.