Swollen hand following fractured shoulder

Posted , 13 users are following.

It's about 14 weeks since I fractured my shoulder. When this happened my arm and hand became very swollen . The arm has gradually improved but my hand and particularly my fingers are still swollen and painful. My wedding ring only fits to the first joint! It is difficult to bend the fingers and use the hand. Has anyone any tips to help reduce this swelling please?

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I dislocated My shoulder on August 24th 2017, it's been almost 3 weeks. My upper arm/shoulder is only sore a little bit now but my hand is swollen and it hurts so bad at night the worst. I also have no  strength in my hand. My doctor thinks a nerve maybe pinched I'll go for another MRI in a week. What can I take for swelling besides Ibuprofen (it hasn't helped) also if anyone has experienced this what why didn't you have strength and why the swelling of the hand??

• Posted

Hi Valerie,

I hope you get answers after you have your MRI.  

Are you keeping your hand elevated?  I sleep in a recliner & have my arm & hand elevated by pillows.

Also drinking extra water & putting ice packs on have helped me with the swelling.

Best Wishes for your recovery,

Cathy

• Posted

I broke my humerus April 27th. It was a spiral break. I wire a fardened split for two weeks and a brace u til August 23rd. I have been using a bone growth stimulator for two and a half months. Started physio August 23rd. My hand has been swollen to different degrees since the break. Particularly at night i wear an *arthritis gli e* . Also wear it during the day when the swelling gets worse. This has helped tremendously. Doing the physio exercises two to three times a day has been helping me get back use of my arm. It all takes time. Up until recently, my husband has been doing everything for me. It hsd been a long go . Im finally beginning to get my independance back, slowly. I have had to be more patient and to let things go as you can't expect others to do things exactly when and how you may want.

Good luck with everyone^s healing.

• Posted

Christine - I'm writing about your post from a year ago. Hope you are well. I am having the exact symptoms as you in regards to swelling and not being able to bend my fingers. It's been over 3 months since I broke my humerus bone and that is coming along fine thanks to PT. As you know, the hand swelling is extremely frustrating. How did you recover? My doc doesnt seem too concerned but...Thanks so much.

• Posted

I slipped and fell on the ice on December 25. I fractured my humerus bone in my right arm. My arm is not totally healed, but I don't have to wear a sling anymore. I am having the same problems with my hand. My hand is still swollen and I cannot bend my fingers. I started physical therapy a few weeks ago, but there has been very little improvement. I didn't know about keeping my hand elevated on a pillow and drinking lots of water. I am going to try it and, hopefully, along with the physical therapy, I can get back to normal.

• Posted

Physio may take a while to see improvement. Also, the hand swelling will be slow to go away. All part of healing. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.