Swollen joints with UC

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone

Can I get a bit of advice? I have colitis and not long out of a 5 night stay in hospital. I am on a whole cocktail of medication, prednisone, azathioprine, omperazole adcal pentasa and vitamins.

I woke up this morning at 3.45 in extreme pain in my joints to the point where my knees are swollen especially the right knee and elbow. I can barely walk.

Has anyone experienced this before? is this normal or should I be worried?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

HI Laura... there is something called 'Enteropathic' arthritis which is colitis (IBD) related. While I have never had it in my knees, one of the tell tale signs that problems are possibly on the horizon i.e it's moving from 'mild' to worse is that my feet become swollen underneath and extremely painful. I also have swelling in my hands from RA and enteropathic and it's my back and ribs that will hurt... I do get a massage once a month though for that. Hopefully the pred will help you and your 'cocktail' was similar to mine when I'd had a major flare about 3 years ago and hospitalised. I went into a flare again year and a half ago and had an unrelated knee injury from slaloming down the stairs (last stair was a looloo!).. where my knee was twice the size... the pred helped both! I have used rosemary oil (in almond oil) and rubbed that on my joints - which was suggested for the knee injury - it is not the same as ibuprofen rub which I'll also use - but it has a 'calming' effect if nothing else and feels really good. It's one of my go to-s!

I can only wish you better and the drugs start working for you...

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.