Swollen knee, no fluid, no injury, no abnormal labs

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm a 25 year old female. 6 months ago my left knee randomly swelled up. I tried the normal rest, elevation, ice, ibuprofen and it wasn't getting better it was just getting bigger. I saw an urgent care doctor (didn't have insurance at the time) and was given a steroid shot. The swelling went down significantly, about half the size but never went away. 3 months later when I got insurance and my knee started getting bigger again I went to my primary. I had labs done. ESR and CRP and Rheumatoid Factor. All came back normal. I had a sonogram done on my knee. Didn't reveal anything. Had an xray done. Didn't reveal anything. She gave me another steroid shot. Didn't work. She also tried to drain it twice but no fluid is in it. Another month later I noticed the size of my knee started changing daily. I finally got small relief to where it was hardly swollen and then in a day or two it would swell up to a grapefruit. I saw a rheumatologist last month and is very confused. Got more labs done. All seem normal. My biliruben is off just slightly. She gave me a steroid shot directly into my knee. Didn't work. Also tried to drain it but again there's no actual fluid in it. I have no idea why my knee is swollen.

Help!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi have you consider mri done for knee joint? also get your uric acid test done.Might find root cause.
    • Posted

My rheumatologist says the MRI will be the next step. And thanks, I will bring that up.
  • Posted

Dear Celiza,

Sounds like you are doing all the right things! Stay on top of things...continue working with your doctors, seek a cond opinion if you can't get answers. And remember the body is amazing and if you listen to it and follow its cues your healing will be maximized. I hope you get some answers and feel better soon! You are young...stay on top of this and get answers and solutions!!!!

Best wishes for healing.

Tammy

• Posted

Nowhere in here do I see you have ever been looks at by an orthopedic surgeon or had an mri. For me, that would be the starting point. All the x rays and lab work won't discover soft tissue issues and as a non medical person,

• Posted

Thanks. My rheumatologist did suggest to see ortho next. There's just a long waiting period where I live.

• Posted

OFG1 is correct...in fact, it happened to me four times.  Severe knee pain; x-rays and MRIs showed nothing.  Got scoped four times...twice each knee.  End result was two menisci and two femoral condyles repaired.  Sometimes, the ortho just has to go in and look around when the imaging studies are inconclusive.  Go see amn ortho group that works with your local college and professional sports teams.  They are a great resource.
  • Posted

His it how my knee in after a tkr in aug. I'm being sent to the university of Michigan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.