Swollen Leg....🙄

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hiya guys....

Again i know this is a well posted talking point, just wanted a quick easy answer to my issue. well maybe not easy. πŸ€”

Getting a lot of swelling to my operated leg, little bruising to the side of the knee, I'm trying to elevate the leg when i can. any more hints and tips would be most appreciated as ever ..😁

Stay Safe & Stay Happy 😊

Pete....

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think it really just takes time and lots of ice. I am 8 months post op and continue to have swelling in my hip and foot. Of course I did have nerve damage to the sciatic nerve which could account for most of the swelling. If I am sitting my leg is raised and I am sitting on a ice pack. Good luck and prayers for a full recovery.

• Posted

Please ice, take your meds and rest. Swelling and bruising some after 1 to 2 weeks after surgery. It is said to come from gravity. I am praying you will feel better. Do not over do it.

• Posted

Bruising is not unusual after hip surgery. The doctor does have to move/manipulate your leg. The swelling is helped mostly with elevation and periodic icing. Don't overdo the amount of time that your leg is down, as in standing. I alternated between walking and sitting with elevated leg. That helped a lot.

Unfortunately it's not easy since we want to recover quickly.

• Posted

Many thanks for all replies and advice, i guess it's only to be expected with the leg being moved and twisted in all directions.

I'll keep an eye on it, I'm due at doctors this Friday to have staples out etc....,😊

Stay Safe & Stay Happy πŸ˜€

Pete 😎

• Posted

As others have said, Pete. Swelling is normal. Just think what has been going on at the top end of your femur - sawing, drilling, banging - all very traumatic. The other end of your femur is in your knee which obviously complains. I had very little swelling but what I did have was around the knee for a couple of weeks and I still have my right ankle slightly bigger than my left. (10 weeks post op). A bag of frozen peas is good to put on your knee when you sit with your leg up. It's easy to mould into the shape you want. Don't worry. It can take several weeks to do down completely. All the best.

• Posted

I'm waiting for my op in November, and I've noticed this past week, that my leg and foot are swelling. I do have a lot of pain now and am not as active as I ache so much. Is this usual?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.