Swollen leg still ? After a week of antibiotics for cellitus ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

My husband was diagnosed last week as had flu like symptoms then developed rash , pain and swollen leg from ankle to his knee , been on antibiotics after 4 days his head was saying ok I'm better now but his leg not good .  Day 6 and 7 he has been constantly on his legs, not resting and his leg is warm very swollen to the point it feels so hard it's going to burst ? Any advice out there for him? He thinks sitting down is resting it I gave tried to say it needs to be raised ! 69 years old... any advise please

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

sandra my best advice is out of hours doctor or a/e  please for your own piece of mind   i have had  it 3 times twice 10/14day iv drip i am same age you want it seen to asp IT NEEDS THOSE WHO KNOW  AND NO FOBBING OFF pauluk
  • Posted

sandra goto top of page click on syptume checker put in red swollen leg it will give you a short list of illnesses  press all and cellultus willshow up and its ared flag
  • Posted

Yes Sandra you are absolutely correct.!!!.

..typical of Men they think after 4-6 days on antibiotics they're cured.. it takes much longer for the skin to heal, looking at another month or so? Realistically that is, is the skin broken on his leg ? If so this is a different matter entirely. But the skin has affected his system and his energy levels low, needs to recharge and rest. Start him on some Echinacea tonic or tablets from the Health shop, should help his immune system..plenty of hot water with fresh lemon daily will alkaline the blood and give (VitC).

• Posted

Hubby may need another course of antibiotics, or a different type like PenIcillin V.. make sure there isn't any other issues like Herpes Zoster which can attack skin on legs, Eyes,Face any part of the skin.. if he has suffered with cold sores ever, could make things a lot worse and will need another tablet called acyclovir..Contact the GP Again to check as this will make his immune system slower to heal.

• Posted

hi this is a reply to all if sandras hubby as had a/bs for 6/7 days and is still red/swollen i know where i would be HOSPITAL    not being over the top at worst all they CAN say is carry on with tabs    if as i think this needs the treatment of hospital medics   now not to worry you to much at back of this is SEPSIS AND THERE IS ONLY A/E GOING TO DEAL WITH THAT  pauluk
    • Posted

The Patient should also take responsibility, exactly what the wife is trying to do for him.. A&E is for EMERGENCIES only hence them being too busy to cope in 2017.. ring the GP ask for a Callback from your Doctor.

• Posted

so diana you are saying this is not an emergency good  your saying a man of 69 with a red swollen leg not responding to treatment in sandras words LOOKS AS ITS GOING TO BLOW UP  when will sandra get this call back from gp   MONDAY 12 OCLOCK IF YOUR LUCKY then wait for doctor to come then get new prescription 3/4 oclock  " A&E is for EMERGENCIES only hence them being too busy to cope in 2017.". ring the GP ask for a Callback from your Doctor.great    well diana those are your words    i have had cellulitus 3/4 if ihad taken that advice in docs own words if you had left any longer   well wont go there because  i iwent to a/e and put on iv drips 10/14 days one silly qauck sent me home to b looked after by gp and iv team who could not get cathiter in for drip and put me back on oral a/bs  needless to say sandras words came true big massive water filled blisters and guess where they sent me to get right a/e   pauluk

• Posted

The only thing A& E would do is put him on IV antibiotics and in the Emergency Ward overnight for assessment.. I think you are being over anxious about the condition which has already been treated and in need of further assessment.

Are you qualified to say this condition is not responding to treatment?

I think not, and considering the patient had not been resting as he should have been, another visit to the GP for assessment or a phone consultation maybe all that is was needed.. Had this patient gone to A& E he would have had to wait I suspect for at least 4 Hours to be seen until the Antibiotics were administered orally or IV.

please don't cut all Medical & Nursing Staff by the same cloth.. it's very stressful in A& E and Emergencies come in many forms.. He would be triaged and prioritised for treatment. 

If the Condition was misdiagnosed initially then that would be a completely different issue. It's a two way street Patient needs to take responsibility as well for their illness. Medic advise and do what's best with what information they have at the time.

• Posted

diana  the ONLY THING IV DRIP!!!i  WHAT ABOUT BLOOD SAMPLES etc nurses``checks being in the right place     i am not qaulfied words not not getting  better are sandras  i am hands on qaulified by having it knowing the speed it can take over the body the only medical person that personally disliked was the doctor who sent me home  and when i first met him in a/e said things such as you are saying what are you doing here the doctor can deal with this but had to keep me in because i was running a fever needless to say when he did rounds next day he made straight for me and bags packed in the hour but back in again in 30 hrs for 10 days and another 2/3 months in bandades being changed then compression now to socks   so whether that qualifys me mabey not so my reply to sandra because shes a worried  wife of a 69yrs old hubby was a/e or out of hours doc asp  as i is sunday and still is diana someware i get the feeling i am time waster   and that you are in medical work i was born when nhs was born very proud of  it looked after family treat all medical staff WITH THE UPMOST RESPECT and would not time waste pauluk
    • Posted

The Health Conditions of People change very quickly, that's is why there should be available contact 24 hour NHS care, however this care is abused and over subscribed by many so there has to be a system whereas people are assessed for treatment in priority. In your case Paul it was a necessary emergency for IV..

Yes I have worked in A& E in trauma side, woundcare, but it is the First line General practitioner who makes an initial assessment then treats, not always knowing bloods, or swab results, giving broad spectrum antibiotics.

If this person the 69 year old was not resting his leg, still running about and still having fever like symptoms, Post antibiotics, the hubby should have seen his GP again soon after, then if not getting better be referred to Hospital.. There is a lack of Beds, so it's unlikely this would happen. So for anyone worried not able to get an out of Hours Doctor, then go to See the Triage Nurse at A& E as a last resort.

• Posted

diana so my guess was good    i went with your assesments so they did what you said  and when sent home the team smashing people nurse and paramedic type person been at this 20 yrs he s aid set me up with drips all good till i wanted a drink and used wrong hand whoops out comes cannula     phoned there in a flash hour and still trying to get new one in   no joy put me back on oral ab   so system went down look at above reply    and i still tried to stay with doc   phoned next day can you come to surgery well i was stood with my foot in basin with a pool of water at bottom coming out of my leg       well he came didnt put bag down A/E  in hospital when that happend they sent for the cannula guy then away again   A/E   MAY BE A LAST RESORT IN SOME CASES SEPSIS    most if not all advice came from district nurses  any problems with my LEG a/e NO DOCTORS that is there words to  ME
  • Posted

He should rest up completely , they certainly need to be elevated as too much standing makes the blood rush down causing even more pain and burnig from my experience of this,otherwise he,ll probably have it for longer,i had 2 weeks of antibiotics Flufloxacillin,also antibiotic cream Fucidin for the aftermath of which i have been left with a red scaring patch from apparent burst blood vessels,in the right shin,my left shin looks a lot better now.However i did go back the GP in the week because of constant burning not only in both lower legs but also upper legs only to discover this was now nerve damage,for which i am taking amytryiptaline 10 mg each night,not notice much difference atm,it will probably take a while for that to settle i should imagine.This is something you don,t mess around with.i know i never want a repeat dose of this !

Hope this helps smile

• Posted

Just saw ridiculous. I am at army hospital for almost 12 days and stI'll with nothing

It's so.swollen

• Posted

I really hope you don't have have this anymore, but if you do, ask you doctor for one dose of steroids! I just got cellulitis on my lower left buttock a few days ago and I've went to the emergency room twice for the extreme pain. I was prescribed clindomyecin, two pills-four times a day, I was also given a weak painkiller- hydrocodon acetemetaphin 5-350. They do not work well. They barley take the edge off even when I took two. After 4 days of suffering the pain only got worse. I remembered I had leftover a dose of steroids from a root canal serious inflammation issue from two months prior (methylprednisolone 4 mg) there's 21 tablets in a pack, and I had 6 left. With this steroid, you are supposed to take 6 the first day, 5 the second, and so on to taper off. I hadn't finished the pack (I know) but I decided to save it.. THANK GOD I DID. I decided to go ahead and take these remaining 6 steroids. I woke up just 5 hours later and the pain had reduced so incredibly i couldn't believe it. The relief is a godsend. If you have this horrible infection and you're doing everything your doctor asked of you and the infection isn't life threatening where you need hospitalization... TAKE A DOSE OF STEROIDS. You will not regret it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.