Swollen lips and glands for over a week now

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, my first post here but need some advice as this is driving me mad. Just over a week ago I woke up with a swollen and very sore lip, also swollen glands and mouth ulcers, prior to this I had been to the dentists for a scale and polish (the day before) but I have that done every three months and there was nothing unusual happened this time. Prior to going to the dentists I noticed that the inside of my mouth was unusually very dry.

?I left it a couple of days and then phoned the doctor as it hadn't gone down, I got to see a doctor who isn't my own GP, he said I have an allergy and thought it was something to do with my visit to the dentists and gave me antihistamines. I took these and the swelling went down for about two days.

However, it came back and the swelling would be worse in the morning and go down as the day went on. I ended up ring the doctors and speaking to my own GP, whom I have already made an appointment with next week when she is next available but I felt I couldn't wait until then. She said it still sounds like an allergy and prescribed stronger antihistamines so I started to take those.

?Then I started feeling unwell with it, not enough to go off sick from work, but just not well and out of sorts. I rang the doctors again and yesterday was referred to an out of hours surgery after I had finished work. That doctor was quite abrupt with me, she examined me, said she couldn't see an infection but said she would give me antibiotics if they will make me feel better so I have started those today.

?The thing is I won't know what to do if these antibiotics don't work. I can't think of what I'm allergic to and it does feel more like an infection. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Could be an allergy are you using a mouthwash in the morning could be the cause ,if its infection antibiotics should clear it up but it probably will take two or three days its a wait and see what happens.
  • Posted

I have never experienced what you are going through, but I am allergic to chlorhexidine, often used in a dentists office, and in some dental products.  I went to a dermatologist to help me figure out if I was allergic to nickel.  He is the only dermatologist in my area that does this sort of testing.  He covered my entire back with panels of different allergens, ones my allergist doesn't test for.  That's how I learned I'm allergic to chlorhexidine.  You might consider seeing a dermatologist.  It has been very frustrating to me to deal with allergies, because many doctors don't think along the line of allergies, and if they do, they just throw some antihistimines at you.  Sorry for misspellings, my right hand is in a cast.  Hope this helps you.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. The doctor thought I might be allergic to something to the dentist used but I haven't had a reaction before. I may need to have allergy tests done if it turns out not be an infection, I just hope the antibiotics work now.

• Posted

I have also had allergy tests and I am allergic to nickel ,I noticed that a certain mouthwash made my mouth very dry.i also had a history of facial swelling and had glands come up on one side caused by an infected salivary gland.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I don't use mouthwash, just Sensodyne toothpaste, its the first time I've had this swelling which is why its concerning me, I'll see if the antibiotics work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.