Swollen lymph node in neck. 3 cm for a number of years

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I am 20 years old and I have had a swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck below my jaw for 3-5 years now. It has seemed to remain the same size, about 3 cm on the long axis and 1.5 cm on the short axis, for the entire time, and is movable, but not entirely soft.  Each doctor that I have gone to has expressed very low concern about this node, and told me not to worry about it. All CBC blood tests that I have had in the past few years have come back normal. Is there any possibility that this could be lymphoma?  I am very scared, and I do not want to biopsy it due to financial issues, so if there is any possibility that this is benign and that I shouldn't worry about it, I could use the reassurance.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I've had 2 large nodes behind my ears for a long time. The are hard, immovable, and they've not killed me. cheesygrin

As far as I'm aware, a CBC would show lymphoma. You don't mention any other symptoms like night sweats (I have them, anxiety/virus related symptom I think) and weight loss or anything?

If it has been there for a long time it's probably nothing too. It would continue growing if it were cancerous wouldn't it?

(Not a doctor or medical advice).

• Posted

I don't have night sweats unless it's blazing hot in the room I am sleeping in, lol! I have not lost weight either.  How big are your nodes? The reason I am a little concerned is because mine measures 2.5-3 cm long, which I hear people say is most likely cancer sad

• Posted

I've not had them measured, but they're pretty damn big! 3cm wide at least probably (2 fingers wide), been like that for many years and I'm not dead yet. cheesygrin

They're rock hard and immovable too, which google will tell you is C (don't Google!), but clearly it can be benign too. 

• Posted

I google all the time.  I think that accounts for my health anxiety biggrin So you think this is benign?
    • Posted

If I had to guess, I would say it's benign. If it was something more sinister it would keep growing I suspect.

(Not a doctor or medical advice of course). 

• Posted

It is likely you’ll be just fine. I think your doctors are right. 

Positives:

*No night sweating 

*No fatigue 

*CBC is ok

*No Weight loss

Negatives

*Anxiety

Take it easy and listen to your doctor. That Lymph is probably there fighting of some kind of infection you have and that's a good thing😀

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.  I don't have any infections because I couldn't have had an infection for 5 years, lol smile  I have a bit of fatigue but I have not been sleeping much lately.  Like 5 hours per night.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.