Swollen Lymph Node on Right Side of Neck Since Last Summer, Extreamly Worried.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last Summer (its march at time of writing) I noticed a bump on my neck but I didn't think much of it till I went to the doctor in December because I was experiencing testicular discomfort and a load of unexplainable symptoms bad anxiety about them. The doctor gave me some counsilling options, and some pills for anxiety attacks and further testing revealed the testicular problems were from cysts and the unexplainable symptoms remained unexplained after a blood test came back picture perfect, but the bump on my neck was still there after all this time so I decided I'd ask. When I asked him about the bump on my neck he felt it and simply said "that's a Lymph Node". I knew that already, but I didn't want to be rude so I just said "aren't" you only supposed to feel those when you're sick?" and he just said "well, ok, come back see me in 6 monthes then" and penciled me down for some time in June. June! If it was something serious I could be dead by June! These past two weeks or so I've been experiencing neck pain so I've been seeing a chiropractor for it, but the neck pain got me worried about the Lymph Node again, so I felt it for the first time in monthes. It's huge now! One large bump surrounded by six or seven smaller bumps and I am absolutely terrified. I already have my girlfriend calling sperm banks in case I'm diagnosed with cancer and lose my fertility (or die). If anyone has any ideas please help me because I'm crying all the time and hyperventilating, I have to wait till June to see my GP but I could be dead by then!

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi James. Your doctor sounds awful. You need to get a biopsy done on that lymph node as soon as possible. That will either rule cancer out or get treatment started, the sooner the better. So, firstly you need to get a second opinion, change surgeries or demand a biopsy. Secondly, if it is lymphoma, treatment is very effective so stop panicking and concentrate on getting that diagnosis. If you're in UK and feel like you're banging your head against the wall contact PALS, they can help you (patient advise and liaison service). I totally understand your fears, I finished treatment for lymphoma about 19 months ago, but once you get a proper diagnosis you can then start your journey of recovery. If necessary get yourself to your nearest hospital A and E and ask them to examine you. Do NOT wait til June. Please let me know how you get on and good luck.

• Posted

Hi James. The only thing I understand is that lymph nodes swell when we have something wrong. I am 75 and have had a swollen lump on one gland since I was in my thirties. Five yrs ago, I was diagnosed with a rare blood disease, so I guess that was what was wrong. However, yes, you shd try to have whatever tests can be done to get to the bottom of the cause of your lumps. Maybe you shd try calling your doctor and try to get in sooner, and insist he take necessary tests. 

I wish you best of luck in getting diagnosed.

harrishill

• Posted

It has occurred to me that I may have a wisdom tooth coming in, as neck pain and swollen glands are a common symptom of that, however my dads insurance does not cover wisdom teeth so there's nothing I can do if that's what it is.

• Posted

I should also mention the largest central node is fixed/immovable and soft but rubbery.
    • Posted

Your description of the largest lymph node sounds exactly the same as the one I had behind my left ear that sent me running to my doctor. You really need to get that biopsy done. It sounds unlikely to me that wisdom teeth have anything to do with the problems you have. Can I ask what country you live in as you mention insurance?
    • Posted

I live in Canada, health care is free (and horriblly slow) if it's life threatening but dentistry is crazy expensive.

• Posted

In going to the Doctors on March 23rd to get a cyst taken out of my knee so I'll try and get it looked at then, hopefully get an ultrasound or biopsy scheduled.

• Posted

Be assertive and tell them you need answers. And the only way you'll get the answers that you need is with a biopsy, an ultrasound won't do.

• Posted

Are you sure? I was under the impression biopsy is only done if ultrasound results indicate a growth of some kind rather than just swelling.
    • Posted

A non cystic growth I may add since ultrasound is excellent at detecting the difference between harmful growths and cysts.
  • Posted

I got a second oppinion from a different doctor and he says that my lymph nodes are swollen due to my acne.
    • Posted

Hi james i know this was 2 months ago. But how are things going now. ? With your lumps thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.