Swollen Lymph Node only on th left side for 6 years

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am 26 years old and I noticed a swollen lymph node on the back (occipital) left side of my neck when I was 21. My heart dropped, but I made a note of it--I can still remember where I was and what I was doing when I first felt it--and decided to wait it out.

It was pretty prominent, about the size and shape of half a gumball. Eventually I got fed up and massaged it and it flattened out. But, the next day my neck was so stiff and painful I couldn't move it (at that time I didn't know it was a lymph node). About 3 years later I finally asked a doctor about it and she very nonchalantly suggested that it might be a scalp issue.

She gave me no referrals and had nothing to say after that, so I put the investigation on pause for a while. The mass would fluctuate in size and never really gave me any pain. Since, this time I've lost 40 lbs, gained it back. Gotten COVID, beat it and the lymph node has randomly fluctuated, but has never gone away.

My suspicions are that it's from a cartilage piercing I got when I was 18 that had gotten really infected (fever, chills, swelling etc.), but was never addressed. Til this day I don't put any earrings in that hole because it gets inflamed all over again as if it was being re-pierced.

I went to the ER April 2022 because I started having symptoms where I had pressure behind my left eye, lethargy, fatigue and neck soreness and stiffness, again, only on the left. However, they didn't investigate and just prescribed me a steroid, a muscle relaxant, an antibiotic (Augmentin) and ibuprofen. This made me dizzy and weak, but after I finished them the lymph node was flat and the symptoms were replaced with extreme dizziness and weakness.

5 days out from that, all the symptoms returned (pressure behind my left eye, lethargy, fatigue and neck soreness and stiffness) and this time the lymph node moved to the side of my neck. So I went back to the ER--I had just moved states and hadn't found a PCP yet--around the beginning of May 2022 and again this time they didn't investigate and just gave me doxycycline. It was so strong I had intracranial hypertension, tingling in my left side, I threw up bile and had violent shakes.

My blood test, urine test and CT scan with and without contrast all came back clear, except they noticed the lymph node branches were prominent on BOTH sides of my neck and a little more on the left. I went into attack mode and went to get my wisdom teeth removed to see if that was it.

I was given a lower level antibiotic (Amoxicilin) with that procedure and I healed surprisingly well. The lymph node decreased significantly, however, it remained. I'm almost 5 weeks out from the wisdom teeth removal and the lymph node is the size of an almond at most and now has adopted a routine. It is non-existent in the morning. Then, around 3pm the lymph node swells and my neck and shoulder feel like post-deep tissue massage soreness.

Recently, my left ear feels full (like an ear infection), my left nostril gets stuffed up, the left side of my head has an empty ache and my left eye feels super strained. My neck gets hot like it's infected and sometimes I can feel a heartbeat in it. Two weeks ago I changed my diet to strictly healthy food and started walking in the mornings. I have felt the improvement. But, I'm nervous about the persistence of this lymph node. I have a strong immune system and am not used to struggling with illness.

Does anyone have similar symptoms? I went to a dermatologist and was prescribed ketoconazole. It helped a bit, but didn't make a dent. I went to a hematology oncologist a couple days ago, but like all the other doctors I've met, he's literally trying to run 7-10 tests to run up the bill when all I asked for was a biopsy. What would you suggest? I am literally $3000 into this and I can't keep up. Any natural remedies or referrals to doctors who care?

Thank you!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.