Swollen Lymph node which is very hard...i need reassurance it can be something other than cancer...

Posted , 4 users are following.

ok background info is about 3 months ago I had severe toothache. I was given antibiotics and had an x-ray, I returned a week later the pain was gone the dentist said the x-ray didn't show anything he spoke about having an extraction or root canal but as I was no longer in pain I put off making a decision.

At the same time I felt a small lump on my jawline, near the tooth that had caused the pain. I did mention the lump to the dentist but he said there wasn't anything on the x-ray.

I sort of forgot about it, it wasn't hurting or noticeable. I would feel it when i washed my face but wasn't concerned.

About a month ago I noticed it had increased in size so made an appointment with my doctor. she thought it may be blocked saliva gland although after she examined me she seemed less convinced. She said she would get an ultrasound done and for me to book in for blood tests (my bloods are being done tomorrow, nearly a month after original appointment!)

I had my ultrasound last week and this is when I started to panic. I was told by the technician that she was going to tell the Doc to send me for a CT scan and they needed to find out what it was (was a bit anxious at that point). within 2 hours my doc had called to say it was suspicious although they hadn't ruled out it being linked to my dental problem. She was referring me to ENT and for a ct scan.

Since then I have been a mess, I have read so much now and everything points to cancer, I can't find any other explanation and the fact that I've already got an appointment with ENT!!

The only positives I can find are that I haven't had any weight loss (first time in my life I'm pleased about that lol) and I don't think I've got chronic fatigue or night sweats.

It is hard and immovable it is probably 2cm big.

the doc hadn't mentioned lymph node but I have looked at so may diagrams I'm convinced it is.

it's half way between my chin and ear.

I feel healthy enough, I've had a couple of colds this year and conjunctivitis. the last few weeks I've had a very stiff neck which goes down my spine to my shoulder blade, I had put this down to bad posture but I'm worrying it's more sinister.

If really appreciate any replies, I am so scared.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

First thing you need to do is take it easy and not worry too much. You seem to be stressing out and that's a big concern. Stress can aggravate and trigger all kinds of ailments You have a lot of very positive things going on; first thing you seem to have a team of doctors trying to figure out what's going on, you recognized it early and doing something about it and you're reaching out to this group (which is excellent). It could be something other than cancer. I have had plenty of swollen lymphs and didn't have cancer. But, lets say it happens to be a tumor of sorts, There is nothing you can do about it now. Cancer is not the end of the world these days. So, try to not worry so much, get enough sleep and rest, eat healthy and get enough exercise.

I sure wish the very best for you.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I have taken your advice and went for a run this morning, first time in a month so hard work but do feel better for it.

I know I need to try and be more positive, yesterday was not a good day and I was having a complete melt down.  My mum passed away 2 years ago to cancer and when she was waiting for results she could hardly function due to anxiety and I would tell her that we shouldn't worry etc. I now know I am more like her then I realised!!

I am going for my bloods shortly, not sure what they are testing for as when I booked the appointment I wasn't that concerned and also a bit ignorant, I didn't think it was a lymph node (and maybe it isn't).

I will ask when I get there and hopefully wont have to wait to long for the results.  In the meantime I will try and stay positive.

Thanks again for reply.

• Posted

I am so glad you're  staying positive and exercising. Sorry to hear about your mom. I lost family members to cancer; my mom (89 years old) eight years ago, my grandmother (97 years old) twelve years ago, my aunt (78 years old) two years ago and I was diagnosed for Leukemia ten years ago. I've learned a lot of life lessons and I can tell you to enjoy everyday you can. I sure hope the best for you, but whatever,  you'll deal with it. 

Stay Positive and enjoy life!

• Posted

i have some one who can cure you, there is nothing God cannot do
  • Posted

I going through the same thing and i dont have insurance so i have a pretty heafty er bill im just not experiencing night sweats because its summer so my ac is on full blast it will be different in the winter time though and ive only have a low grade fever of 99.something.... Er is thinking maybe something autoimmune but i think they are saying that to ease my mind but still a possibility....i found a gp office that only requires a $30 copay and i think they help with the rest..i hope...also hoping its nothing serious as i have no way of paying for anything cancerous or autoimmune its just frustrating not knowing 😖 wishing everyone the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.