Swollen lymph nodes

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone! This is my second time posting here and I need some insight or advice. I have what I think is a swollen lymph node under my armpit. It started as a little red bump and kept swelling. Yesterday, I put a hot compress on it, and today is was smaller. I put another hot compress and it shrunk to half its size. My question is, if cancer had spread to lymph nodes will it do this? I also had one swollen in my neck, it was super small and went away in a week in a half. I'm already worried I have cancer, and this isn't helping! I've had test done such as chest X-ray, abdominal X-ray and blood work done, everything was fine. Still, I feel as though something isn't right. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Swollen lymph nodes don’t usually go down by putting a hot compress on them.  

Sometimes I have them come up behind my ears and on my neck.  I’ve been reassured that sometimes it’s an infection that’s going on at the time.  But, I’m alaays given a blood test as a cautionary measure.

Maybe it could be a sebaceous cyst and that’s why it might have shrunk by putting the compress on it.  I’d still go to your GP though.  Always get lumps checked out just to put your mind at ease.

• Posted

It does not appear to be cancer at all, hence you may not be so worried. However it can be due to infection or some other cause for which consultation with the Doc is necessary.
  • Posted

Well, I'm also on symbicort. I've been taking it for a while now. I know it can weaken the immune system, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I'm thinking it's a node, because it's slowly shrinking, and it's not red. At first it was but now it's he color of my skin. And before I was putting the compress on, it was sore but it's getting a lot better. I also had messenteric adentitis in January. Along with changes in bowels, and chest and back pains that comes and goes.  I'm just terrified right now. 

• Posted

If they completely go away, I wouldn’t worry.   If they continue to get  bigger and more painful see your doctor.  What you have sounds more like an infection. I tend to get them on and off with my monthly cycle.
  • Posted

I have had these swellings under my arms which start as red, sore bumps and then gradually shrink and disappear.  Sometimes topical creams have helped to get rid of the pain and and swelling.

If it was cancer, the swollen lymph nodes would not reduce or go away with hot bathing.  Cancer would not go away by itself either.  Surgery, chemotherapy, radium are the treatments that would be used to treat/eradicate tumours.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.