Swollen Lymph Nodes

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, i've been worrying about my lymph nodes lately which appears on the left side of my neck which is located slightly above my collarbone (maybe 2 inches above my collarbone) and i've noticed that its a bit bigger than other lymph nodes, and i measured the lymph node myself and its about plus minus half an inch big in diameter. And i've have this lymph node since 2016 and at the time was worried if its HIV because i was sexually active and i took a test and it came out negative, and towards the end of 2017 i took another test and it came back negative as well so i kinda developed an irrational fear of getting HIV since. Just wondering if the lymph node is something to worry about?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have been having lymph node issues and I've seen my reg Dr, ENT, dermo and an oncologist lol (I wanted a variety of opinions).

This is what I can tell you I have learned so far from all of those Drs ^^ lol:

- Size is the only real red flag for a lymph node. Anything 2-3cm or more is worrisome. Even some 2cm ones can be normal but 3cm or higher is a worry. Sounds like yours is a lil over 1cm so that would be considered normal sized and not worrisome.

- The time a lymph node has been swollen doesn't mean much. Some ppl have lymph nodes that swell chronically and they could be swollen for years. And if you poke and touch them a lot this can irritate them and cause them to stay swollen so try not to touch them.

-Lymph nodes can also swell from the slightest reason, it doesn't always mean an illness or infection or major problem. My drs think mine r swollen from my acne, which is something so minor.

-If you have any accompanying symptoms like extreme fatigue, rapid weight loss, fevers and night sweats then you may want to check with your doctor. Those are red flag symptoms as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.