Swollen lymph nodes

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello I have a chronic sinus and allergies been on and off of spray antibiotics and a lot different medication without no help at all or just little help 2 months ago I started having pain in my throat I was scared went to the doctor and got a throat ultrasound  the result were that I have Swollen lymph nodes I got really scared when doctor told me that but he said is no dangerous  just a little bit bigger than other one but nothing serious my question is what can cause this ? Can sinus cause this or allergies?  Or acid reflux or gastric that’s all I have Is no cancer because he said is no dangerous also on June I got a endoscopy and everything was good so the Swollen lymph nodes just appear 2 months ago still have it after taking the antibiotics I m so worry now how can I treat this the doctor gave me more antibiotics but I don’t know if I should take it because the others antibiotics didn’t work  help please if someone ever experienced this I tired of having throat pain and no medication working 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Ugh I've been dealing with swollen lymph nodes in my head/neck for almost a year now. I went to my GP, dermo, ENT, and an oncologist (I wanted a variety of opinions lol). I was very scared too at first, I assumed I had some sort of cancer or lymphoma.

Turns out, lymph nodes can swell for sooo many minor reasons that are not related to cancer or a serious illness. After all my tests and Drs I've seen, the general consensus is that I've had bad acne on my face the last year or so, and they think that is what is causing the lymph nodes in my head/neck to swell. I had a hard time believe this at first bc I've nvr heard of acne causing lymph nodes to swell... but I do have to admit when my face is clearer they go down in size, and then if I have a breakout they all swell again. So maybe it really is just the acne. At the moment I'm just on a wait and see plan -_- but none of the Drs seem concerned so that's good.

Where in your neck is your lymph node that is swollen? I have them swollen all under my jaw area, and then some behind my ears.

• Posted

Oh I see yes just like me I thought I have cancer when he told me that I frizzed for a moment then he said is no dangerous is ok but maybe cause I m hypochondriac I can’t stop worrying or wondering if it will turn to cancer later on sad even though I don’t have family with cancer history I got every single test from the doctors even a endoscopy so all they founded was sinus allergies the swallown lym  vitamin d deficiency acid reflux gastric   All the other test were good  I was gonna get a last test because I got my whole body inside and out check lol health anxiety I was gonna get a colonoscopy but the doctor say I don’t need it when I m 45 maybe I m only 25 got everything done already rolleyes  I just don’t like to get sick and if I don’t I don’t want to feel like is my fault for no finding out on time and going to the doctor I like to prevent and avoid all that sickness but my  Swollen lymph nodes are under my chin at the end of my chin in the back like at the begging of my neck in the front  is just the left side he said just  A little bigger but no dangerous  I have pain sometimes no a lot but I worry sad on top of that the antibiotics no working. 
    • Posted

I'm almost same age as u, I'm 28! Oh and I forgot to mention I took antibiotics for mine and they did nothing lol. That made me even more nervous -_- But apparently it's common for antibiotics to not help swollen nodes.

I know exactly how you feel tho, I try to be so proactive with my health to try and avoid anything getting worse. I've def turned into a hypochondriac... but I think for me it stems from losing a loved one last year. My mother in law passed away unexpectedly from cardiac arrest and it's really had a huge impact on my life now. She was perfectly fine and then suddenly was gone, it was very unnerving. Makes me think like maybe if she had gotten her heart checked it wouldn't have happened, or maybe if she lived a healthier lifestyle (she was a bit overweight) she'd still be here. So now I try to do that and be super proactive, but it ends up putting me in a state of worry 24-7 which isn't good =/

My next checkup appointment for my nodes is Jan 22nd. I wish I could just do a full body scan and know for sure everything is fine - but they also tell me anymore tests etc aren't necessary =/

• Posted

Lol 28 young too I don’t know what to do to tray this if antibiotics no working that’s all the  doctor can give me  oh I don’t know why my doctor keep giving antibiotics if he know they don’t work ! Yes hypochondriac is so bad I trying to control it by letting the thoughts goes but is hard sometimes more when only sick is like I believe my thoughts more since I m sick sorry about your loss yes I understand what you mean but I think when something going to happen it just happens and we can’t prevent it that’s my right side of my brain lol while the other side will say get check up all the time but I believe my right side I got heart check everything come back good all the time just my ocd anxiety and hypochondriac that’s where the symptoms come from panic attacks and all that also depression  yes I know that feeling of worrying 24/7 I have ocd so imagine lol but I think mindfulness is really good for people like us just to focus on the moment just like my Theraphy day we can’t control the future if something going to happen or not we don’t have control over that just like the past we can’t change it is gone we no there anymore all we can do is live in the present moment  .: and try to live in happy in the present Only no past no future live day by day  I try this everyday it work but obviously when I m sick like now my mind get a little bit out but I have to retrain it to get back to the old habit smile did the doctor say if your  nodes are dangerous or nah ? I m just asking why he checking on it again?  Also I know right I got all test done  and everything was fine and then I feel guilty because that’s like relapsing on my recovery for hypochondriac ocd and depression I will say if you feel really sick or that something is no good you can get all the test but just one time .. no more than one also believe the result if they are good people with hypochondriac like me sometimes even if the result are good we have hard time believing we think the doctor is lying or forgot something .. lol how the mind work wish you the best smile
    • Posted

I've been seeing the Dr every 6 months since last year, and she does blood work each time and asks if I have any new symptoms or if anything has changed. So far every time nothing has changed and my blood work is fine so that's goo. And some of the lymph nodes have gone away... like in March I had prob 6 swollen in my head/neck, now it seems like I only have 3 or 4. So that is helping my worries but I just wish they ALL would go away, for good -__-

I did do an MRI, ultrasound and bunch of blood work. All came back clear, so I guess that's why the doctors are saying it's not necessary to do more tests. I tried to push that I know it's not necessary but I still want to do more, and the Dr explained that the next step would be an MRI again or a CT scan, and both of those are not healthy for you and said I really shouldn't subject my body to that if not needed. That kind of made me back off on demanding tests, bc I do think that is true - it's prob not good to have radiation like that with an X ray or the magnetic waves with an MRI going through ur body. The Dr also pointed out that bc I'm a hypochondriac, more tests are not going to help bc I will still worry and I'll just think oh what if they missed something or what if it didn't show on the test for some reason, etc.  And I agree with hat also bc I probably will do that lol.

So for now I guess I'll just wait and see -_- I think your situation is a little less scary than mine though, you shouldn't be as worried as u are. You actually have sinus issues going on, which can definitely be the cause of ur swollen nodes. What freaked me out about my swollen nodes was that I had no symptoms of illness or infections at all so I didn't get where they were coming from. At least u have a potential normal reason for urs swollen haha

• Posted

Does this mean the doctor keeping checking on you because they can turn to cancer later on or because is more than one ? I only have one I m scared lol can’t way for mine to go away but with a chronic sinus  I pray rolleyes oh that’s good they seen mine when I got the throat ultrasound in the left side rolleyes that’s good all your test were clear  yes I heard too much ultrasound and all that is no good yes that’s the thing with hypochondriac you will never have certain that everything is good always in the back of your head will be like what if this what if that  that’s how I m  my hurt throat hurt and I only have one in left side so I m wondering why whole throat hurt rolleyes  yes I know I have a sinus but also have hypochondriac lol is telling me that that will turn to cancer later on and now I want to know if there any chance of that turning to cancer in the future omg my mind won’t  stop  for real even when I know everything gonna be ok my mind be like what if no? What if you die from it ? Can’t wait to see my therapist soon  oh yes I see but I also heard if you get sick they can get swollen  like viral infection even stress I heard people saying that so probably nothing wrong with you they probably from a viral infection  sometimes viral infection don’t cause a lot symptoms hope we can find a cure for this soon
    • Posted

Yeah they can definitely swell for many minor reasons like viral infections too! I never realized that until my Drs explained that. I used to think swollen lymph node = cancer. My mom actually had a swollen lymph node years ago on her collar bone (a very common spot for lymphoma) and the Dr even told her it could be cancer!! So she was freeaking out.... it turned out to be Cat Scratch Fever!! haha how weird right?

I'm not sure why they have me on the 6 month checkups, my Drs reassured me that another sign it is NOT cancer is that it has been so long and it hasn't gotten worse. I guess maybe you never know and they figure until the nodes disappear I should still checkup occasionally? Probably also bc mine have no known cause for being swollen, they just are taking an educated guess that it's my facial acne lol but they don't really have proof of that. So I guess to be safe they want me to keep an eye on it until they disappear? =/ Sigh. I hope both our lymph nodes go away haha sad

• Posted

Yes I didn’t know that that’s funny lol  just praying they go away no one want to have that all the time oh I see you have then for a long time mine appear on July  about 3 months ago sad I want them to go away so I stop worrying  if mine don’t go away I m going to a different doctor lol no wasting time they have to go away  yes they need to find out what cause yours to get like that it have to be something minor and the doctor don’t know yet me I have some much different allergies and sinus rolleyes  they need to run more test to find out what it is my doctor gave me more antibiotics because he think is because my sinus is probably some allergies did you got the allergies test done ? I got all I have allergies  like 6 different allergies  lol I hope too I thought I was the only one dealing with this I thought I did something wrong but I m a healthy person don’t drink alcohol never smoke anything  I eat healthy too  but I think healthy people are they oen that get sick 😷 I don’t know why 

• Posted

Yes my first lymph node popped up last November 2017. After that more have been popping up in the same area, but I'd say around July this year they started disappearing finally. But as I said, they aren't all gone yet there are still a few that are swollen a bit. I've read online though that if you have "reactive" lymph nodes (which basically means they are oversensitive lol) then you could have a lymph node swollen for years even before it goes back down to normal size.

From what I've learned from all the Drs I've seen the only real red flag is size and if you have other worrisome symptoms like fevers, night sweats, weight loss. They told me as long as I don't have any of those symptoms, and as long as my nodes don't get bigger than around 2-3cm there isn't any cause for concern.

I did do an allergy test actually, I'm allergic to cats, dogs, dust mites, and birch pollen. I assumed all of that though already based on allergies I get, except for the dust haha that I didn't know.

• Posted

Oh I see  I don’t get fever but I m always hot like  sweat  but I always been like that probably because I sleep with a thick blanket  no weight lost but the ultrasound will show if it was dangerous or not and doctor told me is no dangerous he better be right about what he saying lol  because if the case was different he would been send me for a deeper test to test inside the throat but I already got that endoscopy and laryngoscope  since antibiotics don’t work I heard eating garlic help reducing  it doing compress with a wet towel with apple vinegar  help as well during a lot orange juice this what I m doing now hopefully it work like it did for the others smile
  • Posted

If you have a sinus infection then absolutely it can lead to swollen lymph nodes and until the infection is one they will be there.

The doctor needs to up your antibiotics most likely

• Posted

Omg I almost have a panic attack yesterday when he said that then he said is no dangerous I got home and starting google what if I have a chronic sinus they will never go away sad I been under many different antibiotics no working can a burn cause this I remember burning my throat 2 months ago just  wondering 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.