Swollen lymph nodes/glands under arm?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm 18 years old, and I remember when I was quite a bit younger noticing this recurring little lump under my arm (in my armpit). Anyway, it didn't bother me for a few years, and then all of a sudden in December I got a shooting pain under my arm when I lifted it a certain way. I felt under my arm, and I felt this pea sized lump, and as I pressed down a bit, almost like a long line connected to it, feels like a gland similar to the ones in your neck. I had it for about 2 weeks and went to the doctor, the pain had began to subside by then but the lump could still be felt. The doctor felt it and said it would be my immune system trying to fight something off, or an infection in the lymph nodes, and that if it didn't go away to come back because I might need antibiotics. Within another few days it disappeared, so I just shrugged it off and that was that. About 3/4 days ago now, I had an itch on my side and suddenly felt this lump come back, in exactly the same place. It feels exactly the same, it's not as painful this time, I get a tinge sometimes and when I touch it then it starts to hurt. The lump is fairly hard but moves when I press down on it, the long gland is very movable. I'm not sure if it could be connected to a hormonal thing or an illness, as both times it's come up close to my period, but also as I've been unwell. The first time I'd just gotten over a really bad cold when I noticed it, this time I've noticed myself coughing and waking up with a sore throat in the morning, and my mum's had a cough, so I think my body is trying to catch it before it starts. I could just be unlikely and have an infection like

the doctor suggested. I'm just worried because it's suddenly come up again, if it's not gone by the two week mark I'll go and see my doctor again but my mind's gone into overdrive a bit!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Try asking the doctor for a blood test or chest x-ray. Otherwise, if the doctor says you’re ok, then it’s ok. At least from my knowledge

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.