Swollen lymph nodes in neck

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I was wondering if anyone has found their diagnosis from this? I am 21 and have been dealing with this for 3+ months. It started out with swollen tonsils very red. Doctor thought it was strep until it came back negative. My white blood cell count was higher than normal and no bacteria found. So they told me they think I have a virus but no idea which one. Now going on 4 months I still have swollen tonsils not red but swollen, lymph nodes in my neck mainly, the ones in groin and armpit come and go. I get so many blood tests done and comes back fine. Got checked for limes desease, mono, sifilis and all is negative. I feel like I have to try to diagnose myself since doctors keep telling me I am okay and my body will fight the "virus" off itself. I've never had a fever. It's so weird I've never delt with anything like this before. Also, my thyroid is fine as well. Now I have an appointment with an oncologist to hopefully rule out cancer. Please reply, anything will be helpful 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hey I am also having this problem since three months. Everything started after I had sex for the first time. I’m having swollen lymph nodes on neck armpit and groin.  All my tests were negative too. I’m just researching myself about this since doctors have nothing to say about this. Lymph’s on my neck is a bit better now but still doesn’t make much difference. Looking forward to find what this is.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I hope they can figure out what is wrong. Lymph nodes swell when our bodies are trying to figh something off. Please keep me updated I would love to know how you are doing with this. 
  • Posted

I've been having swollen lymph nodes in the back of my head/neck for over 7 months now. Their best idea is it's the acne on my face causing them to swell.

For you it sounds like you probably do just have a little cold or virus going on, since your tonsils are swollen. I wouldn't be worried in your case.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying. Did they say anything about them going away or only when your acne does? Please keep me posted, I'm glad to know I am not the only one with swollen lymph nodes. It's scary to not know what is going on inside. 

• Posted

I've 5 swollen since Nov 2017. Just recently most of them seem to be going away, but there's two (the oldest ones lol) that are relentless and will not go away. They all change in size tho, like some days they'll be super noticeable and prominent, then other days they are barely there. They also haven't gotten any bigger than about 1.5 cm. 

The acne idea sounded unlikely to me, but I've seen my reg Dr, Dermo, ENT and an Oncologist now (i wanted variety of opinions) and they all agree it doesn't seem to be anything worrisome and it's probably my acne. What bothers me about their prognosis is that my acne isn't even that bad anymore, it'll just be one or two pimples on my whole face lol but idk what can u do, right? I asked like 4 people now haha so I guess I just need to accept it and keep an eye on them.

I also had an ultrasound done recently and they came back "benign appearing lymph nodes". Gotta love the "appearing" in there haha can't just say "they are normal"... but I'm very glad obv it wasn't worse results.

I did notice a couple times when I've have a breakout that the lymph nodes were more noticeable and bigger, so idk maybe it is just the acne. I really hope so -_- But the best advice I can give you is that there are so many reasons for them to be swollen, and do not Google!! According to Google I've died about 50 times already. All of the Drs I've seen say any lymph nodes "normal" sized are not worrisome. Even if you have 15 swollen, as long as they are not like golf ball sized there's no cause for concern.

• Posted

Sorry for the late reply! And talking about google I just got done googling 😭😭 ugh it’s so hard. Thanks for replying again! Since November jeez, I would’ve wanted more opinions too! And mine are the same too! I have some in the back of my neck, on the side, and in my armpit. They come and go as you say but mine never do completely. They just stop hurting sometimes and then hurt again. Also something new has been happening to me, my neck scm muscle has been swollen, for like a week, and now today it isn’t but my whole left arm is. It feels tight and tingly. So I started to google (I know I know but it’s like I just want to know what it is already 😐wink one of the things came up is myositis. It can be caused from viruses (which the doctors believe it is but they say they “think”) and it causes swollen lymph nodes. Now I’m scared and can’t sleep. I want to go get tested for this just to be sure. I feel like I am overthinking but idk I just feel so alone in this. No one understands. That’s why I came across this website and signed up. I try not to stress because that makes everything worse. But sometimes days like this I just want to cry myself to sleep. But on the other hand, I’m so happy for you it’s nothing major!! Seriously consider yourself lucky and blessed smile at first I never heard of it from acne, until I seen a lot of writings on here from other people saying the same thing! I hope I get a good diagnosis like that when they find out mine. I have a bit of acne sometimes so hey who knows maybe we’re the same lol 

• Posted

I think the most important thing I've learned so far from all of it is to just keep in mind ur body can do some odd things sometimes lol and it doesn't mean ur dying or you have cancer or something awful. Esp w lymph nodes, we tend to think swollen lymp nodes is something bad and cancerous, but apparently they can swell from very minor things too like my acne. So it's good to just keep in mind and hopefully calm yourself down a bit from the what ifs.

• Posted

Hi, I had a similar experience with lymph nodes last year and I want to emphasise that mostly enlargement of lymph nodes is benign and caused by an asimptomatic virus or something similar. I had a quite long undefined viral infection a year ago. After the infection my lymph nodes in the neck, groin and under armpits remained veryyy swollen (neck - 8 swollen nodes 0,5cm - 3cm and in groin a couple of nodes up to 1,5cm) the ones in my neck and groin are actually still a bit swollen today. There was quite a bit of panic after the initial disease, and we have done soo many tests; several ultrasounds, histological biopsy, countless blood tests, hematological and infectological evaluation ect. and all came back negative, the doctors just concluded that it is prolonged enlargement due to a virus in the past. So as long as the tests come back fine and nonconcerning you probably don't have anything serious. However it is smart to look for anwsers and try to find a definite cause, just don't stress about it too much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.