Swollen lymph nodes in neck and collar bone...freaked

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I am 20 years old and I have been having swollen lymph nodes on the right side of my neck and in my collar bone. I went to the ENT about a month ago to check on a lymph node that was about 3 cm long in below my jaw on the right side, and he sent me for an MRI of my neck. I had swollen lymph nodes in the front and back of my neck on the right side at the time. The MRI detected extensive swollen lymph nodes in my neck, right greater than left, and also detected right sided supraclavicular lymphadenopathy. I was sent for a biopsy of the lymph node in my neck, but in between the MRI and the biopsy, blood tests detected EBV in my blood, and i began developing an excruciating sore throat and extreme fatigue, so I was diagnosed with mononucleosis. The biopsy then came back reactive with scattered EBV cells, and they looked at the MRI beforehand and did not biopsy the supraclavicular lymph nodes.

I still have some palpable lymph nodes in the back and on my collarbone a month later. Is it possible for supraclavicular lymph nodes to be enlarged from EBV? Dr. Google has me freaked because all that comes up with supraclavicular nodes is cancer. Cancer, cancer, and more cancer. Since the lymph node they biopsied came back reactive and that lymph node is bigger than my supraclavicular nodes, should I be satisfied with my supraclavicular nodes being reactive to EBV as well? Do I need to worry about this? I am freaking out.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there Joey. My clavicular nodes are swollen too as well as my occipital and inguinal nodes. I started with mono symptoms April 26, 2018. Although I’m over the acute stage the nodes are still mildly swollen. This is completely normal

From what I’ve read and what drs have told me. It can take quite some time for them to go down completely if ever in some cases.

Hope this helps your stress level over it. With a positive diagnosis of mono all nodes are somewhat affected.

• Posted

Hi Joey,

So sorry to hear you have been going through this awful time. I'm not a medical person or anything like that, but certainly EBV does cause swollen lymph nodes, I think it can happen almost anywhere in the body from my understanding but of course do speak to the doc is the best thing. It certainly could be the EBV / mono causing this, particularly as you have the other classic symptoms of mono of sore throat and extreme fatigue - I just want to reassure that with mono things do get better, don't panic if it takes a little time that can be normal, but you definitely will get there.

Just hoping and praying there is nothing else going on, I know how frightening it is when you google things and read these kind of stories. Remember it's always usually the worst case scenarios posted on there, and you're doing all the right things seeing the doc and getting tests, etc - really hoping these tests and the doctor can reassure you. Thinking about you and hoping and praying for things to settle down for you - hang in there, and remember, mono DOES get better!

Craig

• Posted

Hey, pretty much all the lymph nodes in my body were swollen the entire time, and even now, 16 months later, it still kinda hurts, and if I don't get enough sleep, or get a food poisoning they start to hurt a lot again. This is the experience that a lot of people go through on this forum. I'm pretty sure it's not cancer either in your case.

• Posted

Hi Catch the Bus,

Yeah it's so frustrating those lymph nodes which you start to feel again when you get a cold or virus or whatever after it - this does continue to fade over time, I still felt this throughout a lot of the second year but things over the next year or so really did settle and the longer you go on the less you will be bothered with this I truly believe.

Hang in there Joey, thinking about you!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.