Swollen nodes in throat when exercising, gone on for years

Posted , 2 users are following.

For at least the past 6 years or so the problem has been steadily worsening, though it has been somewhat of a problem throughout my life. Whenever I run or otherwise exert myself I end up having to stop not from muscle exhaustion or breathing problems, but rather because the pain in my two lymph nodes in my neck (just under my jaw) become more and more painful, often leading to the surrounding areas feeling hot & tight as well.

I mentioned it to people before but no one seemed worried so i let it go, but last week I went on short run around a field with my dogs and really couldn't last at all. That's the quickest it's ever happened. It prevents me from going on jogs, etc. Because it happens way before the rest of my body gets tired, which is frustrating.

I really just want to know why this happens when i run. But it may be relevant to have some extra info about how my lymph nodes act up: these same two lymph nodes always act up a lot whenever I'm sick -increasingly so with age (I'm only 20, though ). I can always tell when my body is fighting something, even when I dont show any other symptoms, because they hurt. This happens very regularly though so I feel like they are more sensitive than most people's. I also distinctly remember being a small child and the same two nodes hurting when I got worked up crying, but they rarely bothered me when I was sick back then.

Please help me understand why cardiovascular activity might cause my lymph nodes to hurt, and potential ways to alleviate this problem if possible.

Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'm wondering if you just tense your muscles in your jaw/neck and that's why they hurt?

Whenever I'm stressed or anxious I tense up in my jaw area, and right under my jaw line and even my chin like under my tongue muscles, they all get sooo tight and sore feeling. It's so uncomfortable! But then as soon as I'm able to relax it's gone.

I'm wondering if it's just a coincidence your nodes are there, and maybe your just tensed up in that area when exercising?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.