Swollen optical nerve in my right eye

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had a swollen optical nerve for months. They have done a mri a spinal tap and plenty of eye ultra sounds and photos but they can not figure out the issue and why it has happened. The dr says it looks like it's getting better on its own but it still bothers me a lot. I have a sleep study planned. I also have a lot of pain on the side of my jaw that seems to go to the top spot of my head on the right side Has anyone else ever had this same issue before and if so what was it. I'm just scared that they missed somthing in the mri and spinal tap I have anxiety and panic attacks and this is making both act up more.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

OPTIC DISC PIT OR DRUSEN CAN MIMIC OPTIC DISC EDEMA, DO YOU HAVE VISION PROBLEM RECENTLY?
    • Posted

They have checked for protein build up in the eye and have found nothing as well
    • Posted

I do have blurryness in the right eye and pain
  • Posted

Kenneth I don't have definite answers here I am sorry to say. I have had pain like that and eye issues ( different from yours) and I have an auto immune disorder. My spinal tap and mri were always normal as were brain mri. I had dreadful symptoms at the time of scans etc yet nothing showed up. Do you have gi or joint issues?

• Posted

Also all this has been over the last 6 months and the doctors have yet to provide me with any medicine or anything to reduce or help with the symptoms
    • Posted

blurred vision in one eye+ eye pain +opticĀ  disc edema = optic neuritis whatever its cause.

they should work on this basis

• Posted

Ken I have exactly the same and posted here a few days ago. Mine was discovered by the optician and I was sent urgently to the hospital. Well I was so worried I couldn't eat. At the hospital I had all sorts of tests and a consultant looked at my right eye and wasn't sure why my right eye appears to have a swollen optic nerve although she said that it could be genetic such as a defect that makes it appear swollen but is not really swollen.i am now awaiting an MRI scan within the next couple of weeks. But I suffer with my sinuses and get sinus headaches quite frequently as I have an allergy. In your case the MRI and spinal tap didn't show anything so it could be that it's just the way you are. Try not to stress over it, if there was something sinister going on the MRI would have picked it up. Chances of the radiologist missing something when reading the results are extremely unlikely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.