Swollen stomach after open surgery, any help?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had Burch colposuspension for SUI a week ago, discharged from the hospital on Friday, with a catheter in place. Have a big stomach below the belly button, look like 5 months pregnant, and feeling as if I had a balloon with air in my belly. It's so uncomfortable, I wonder what I will wear when I start working again! Anyone had this experience? When would the swelling go away? I didn't realise it when I was still in hospital as I was in pain and very weak, and medical personnel didn't tell me anything that I had a swollen stomach. Is there anything I could do about it, for example, go to my GP, would they even help? I'm so lost. 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi hun

Thats completly normal i had surgery 6 weeks ago (keyhole) and it took around 4/5 weeks to go down! Its where they blow you up with gas.

I lived in maternity jogging bottoms for weeks as couldnt get jeans or anything with buttons on x

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

But I didn't have a keyhole but open surgery! Did they blow me up anyway? I'm feeling as I would explode soon. And have no idea what to do and who to turn to. My wound hurts, and I'm afraid I may get an infection. 

• Posted

I am not sure hun. I drank peppermint tea after surgery to ease the gas but if you are worried i would contact your doctor. Big hugs xx
    • Posted

They blew me up but it’s one year later and I look pregnant and never had a stomache. Don’t care about that but feels like a foreign object on my body and hurts constantly 
  • Posted

Me to. It’s awful and I feel abdominal pain constantly. Does it go away
    • Posted

My big stomach disappeared long ago, but I still feel like something is inside the abdomen. I have to wear a supporting belt (actually a knee wrap!) to hold it as I feel uncomfortable walking without the belt. My cut wound healed very well, but the place is all numb, I think I will remain numb. Slightly hurts when I press on it. I read that after such a surgery it takes up to a year to completely heal. So, I'm patiently waiting.

• Posted

Mine has been more then a year and still hurts a lot and a lot of swelling. Constant pain and swelling 
    • Posted

Should you not go back to the clinic and report you still had problems? Maybe they need to do examination why you still have them for such a long time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.