swollen submandibular gland

Posted , 3 users are following.

My submandibular gland became sore and swollen about 5 days ago. My dentist gave me a antibiotic and that didn't help. I was up for like 4 nights straight not sleeping well and the gland very sore. I went into the clinic and the Doc just said it's a swollen gland. He gave me Ibruprophin  800 and I have been taking that for  2 days. Swelling has gone down but gland is still hard sometimes, if I put a warm wash cloth on it it will get a bit softer. It's still bothering me. What do I do?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am not god at these glands I had my Parotid Gland swell big and painful. I was told to eat lemons or lemon hard candy. Also to massage the gland with warm compresses I only say this because my ENT Dr told me to do this Go to a ENT Dr.  I would say
  • Posted

You may have a salivary gland stone which may settle down and not cause you any further problem or keep swelling up at times.Best thing you can do is go and see your Dr when its swollen and painful ,and ask if you can get an ENT referral .Some stones do come out by themselves while others get stuck and cause recurrent infection I had a swollen gland on and off for years until one Dr looked at my history and said she thought i had a stone I ended up having my gland removed as it was very infected.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.