Swollen submandibular lymph node

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi over a month ago I noticed my left submandibular lymph node swollen, along with my lower left cheek. I went to the doctor and they couldn't find anything wrong (physical exam/blood work came back normal). So he suggested maybe it's my tooth and advised me to go see a dentist. A few days later I went to see the dentist and sure enough my left bottom molar was infected. He then prescribed me with clindamycin and told me to go back to get the tooth pulled. So two weeks later I went back and got the tooth removed.

Now, 3+ weeks after my tooth extraction, MY LYMPH NODE and bottom cheek is STILL swollen and tender. It's not very noticeable when you look at it so I don't think it's that big but I can definitely feel it.

Sometimes i feel tightness around my neck area as well. No pain but just tightness. It also feels better after I eat. I can feel the tenderness and minor pain if I haven't eaten.

Sometimes the back of the left side of my neck feels sore and tight too. Not sure if that has anything to do with the submandibular lymph node.

PS: I also had an abdominal CT scan done because the doctor thought my lymph node in my groin was swollen too. But CT scan results were completely normal.

Other than this annoying lymph node I really don't have any other pain or symptoms.

Oh and the gum where this tooth was pulled is still open. There is a hole there and I can feel my gums are tender as well now.

My main concern is having a swollen lymph node for this long. Im supposed to see my doctor early November.

I just want to know what could be the cause of this lymph node swelling? Why is it taking so long to go down after I've gotten the tooth pulled?? Should I be concerned since it's been swollen for over a month???

Please help!!! Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Mine had swollen for 6 month. Plus sore sensation around it and down my neck. Sometimes it pulled up pinching headache on my right side of my head. All happened on my right neck. Had a CT scan 2 month ago with contrast result came out to be all fine. Had no idea also.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response Cassey. Was it also your submandibular lymph node? Any idea what caused it? did you have a bad tooth also?

• Posted

Yes Jessica, submandibular lymph node. Well, i had seek for 5 doctors attention the other one ever mentioned it's because of my tooth. One of my tooth decayed for years because i just think no big deal so i didn't go to the dentist until recently the doctor say it may due to my tooth. The sore just come and go. Under my right ear, down my shoulder. Sometimes it trigger pinching headache. Sometimes swallow i can feel the sore. Had no idea too Jessica. I suggest you stay calm and do lots of deep breathing to prevent health anxiety and depression. Do exercise and don't always think about it. Stop touching it too.

• Posted

Thank you so much. I think it's slowly getting better. I don't feel it as much. Knock on wood it doesn't come back! I absolutely hate the feeling!

• Posted

Anyone else have any advice? Please help.
  • Posted

Me too.  2 swollen lymph nodes:  doctors do an extremely light-touch, cursory exam;  are they waiting "till its golf-ball.  tests (radiologist) sees them.  Surely, Jessica, you know how serious these symptoms can be?  Do you have other problems?  slight fever, lack of energy, etc.?  what has happened to you in, say, just October?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.