Swollen tender belly

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi ladies.

I'm 3 months post op open myomectomy horizontal incision . I still have swolleness - soreness - tenderness- above my incision right below my belly button, and it feels hard. Is this normal? I can't wear anything tight and even elastic hurts. Has anyone experienced the same feeling? Is this part of the healing process? I thought I would be much better by now.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you are still healing. It took me about a good 6 months before I started feeling more normal so please don't worry about it. I was given 6 weeks as an indiction of recovery but I ended up being of work for 3 months. It's a longer and harder recovery than I expected but I'm over the moon now with my normal periods so it was worth it for me.

Don't put yourself under pressure to get better. Your body will take as long as it needs.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I was always an active person and it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when I'm still in pain/discomfort. I'm back at work light duty after being out for 2 months. I'm wondering now if I should have rushed back. I've been thinking of maybe going back out for a while especially since my job requires me to carry about 12 pounds on my waist. I can't imagine doing that right now.

• Posted

I was lucky enough to have a phased return to work after 3 months and I had a desk job but it was the commute and walking that I struggled with. I constantly googled trying to find out if what I felt was normal and it seems it was. It's 9 months since I had it done and like Rakieter, I had no idea it would be this long, especially when you're told it's about 6 weeks recovery. It makes you feel like there must be something wrong if you're still feeling things at 12 weeks. I still get twinges to and my stomach is still a bit numb but I love feeling better now. It's hard especially if you've been really active and busy before. Take the time of work if you can, your body will thank you. Keep your chin up😀

• Posted

Thank you for the encouragement. Yes, I expected to feel way way better - Doc kept saying recovery time is 6-8 weeks. What a fib. Everyone's body is different and not knowing makes me feel like something could be wrong. Glad to hear it is part of the recovery process. I will follow up w the Doc and perhaps go out again for a month to relax.

• Posted

Hello,

Sorry to hear that the area hurts, it is very frustrating but it is part of the healing process - one of those things that they didn't (on my case) mention in the hospital when they gave me post-surgery advise. It has been 16 months since my surgery and some days when i get a bit stressed or over tired the area still feels a little sore but as Nicola76628, I'm glad I had it.

I also had to take 3 months off - with faced returned to work. It is a major surgery, so 

listen to your body and if there is something that it doesn't feel normal, don't hesitate to ask the doctor to inspect the area for any hard tissue - is the scar looking okay?

Hopefully you feel better soon smile x

• Posted

Thank you for your response. In my opinion it is hard not as soft as my upper belly area. The scar looks ok, it's the inside that still hurts and seems hard . Your right! I need to listen to my body. Perhaps 8 weeks was too soon to return to work

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.