Swollen thyroid gland

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am on medication for under active thyroid and I have all the symptoms of a goitre any one else have had the sAme

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicola, did you notice a lump on your throats prior to starting the medication?

Hypothyroidism can cause thyroid cysts and goiter.  However, if you look at the side effects of levothyroxin, it has many side effects, including goiter. 

If you look here, it has goiter listed as the first side effect: http://www.rxlist.com/levothyroxine-sodium-side-effects-drug-center.htm

• Posted

Hi I have been on under active thyroid medication for years and now feel now got symptins of a goiter checking my bloods then maybe a scan in the neck x
    • Posted

Hi Nicola, good that you're checking blood work. Unfortunately, the blood tests don't always show indications of a goiter, so it's best to also get a scan.

I also urge you to read all the side effects of your medication, as it's extremely difficult to determine wether your dose is incorrect, or whether your medication is causing additional symptoms, as many thyroid medication side effects are hypothyroid symptoms. 

Its really important to make sure your meds are dosed correctly, and that you have medication that works for you, as not all meds work for everyone. 

• Posted

Hi put another post up , but my blood tests all good but still coughing and breathing not normal waiting for the scan now . The doctor did give me antibiotics but not made any difference I worse if anything 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.