Swollen Upper Thumb

Posted , 1 user is following.

I got the smallest of cuts (from sharp edging of a packet of bacon) to the skin just below my thumb nail and above the joint. washed it, thought no more of it as it was so miniscule. hours later the area became sore and painful. By the next morning it was swollen (double size of my normal thumb). i felt fine. I couldn't even see the cut, the skin looked normal except for being red and swollen. 48 hours later stiff and swollen but less red. Doesn't seem infected.

The curious thing is 24 hours before my thumb issue my teenage son stood on a push pin. Removed it, washed his foot and put on a plaster. Hours later whole side of his foot was red, swollen, painful to walk on. Referred him to 111, they to A&E. Nurse quite happy it was fine and healing.

Why such an over-reaction (swelling, redness, pain) to such a tiny injury for both of us? We are both well so clearly not an infection. In both cases it was almost like an allergic reaction. So odd it happened to both of us.

My brother has a theory. He has compromised immunity and as a result has been very cautious during the Covid19 pandemic. His immunologist told him that actually those with weak immunities have actually responded better and that most issues have resulted in healthy but over reactive immune responses. Both my son and I experienced Covid19 symptoms end of January and February. At the time we did not fit criteria for a test. I had been in contact with someone returning from China but my symptoms were 3 weeks after (then they only looked at 10 day time period). My son followed but had vomiting in addition to cough and fever and a massive allergic type rash put down as just a common viral reaction. Obviously he could have got it from me but also mixed with teenagers returning from a ski trip to Italy!! Did we have Covid19. Is this strange reaction to injury a further consequence?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.