Swollen urethra after cystoscopy and blood after urodynamics test.

Posted , 8 users are following.

In september on 2018 I had a cystopscopy examination done. I didn't fine the procedure painful, just uncomfortable. He used two tubes on local don into my urethra and used a flexible scope. It did not hurt to urinate, and there was no blood after. What really bothered me was the fact that for the next 2 hours after the scope, the tip of my penis and urethra were swollen. It looked abnormal. best was to describe it was that my urethra looked like it had botox, and it looked very puffy. I found it hard to pee afterwards but it's something about the gel they use that seems to make it very hard for me to pee after I have anything done. During my urodymics test, She used one tube of local. I felt no pain as it was inserted until she hit something that made me flinch. Later that day I had some mild burning when I urinated and then I saw a small drop of blood in my urine, but that was it - day 2 was fine.

My concern is that I now have a stricture caused from the swelling of my urethra. I have read that a scope can indeed cause a stricture. 3 months after the scope I had to start sitting down to urinate. I also now have hesitancy, but I don't know how much of that is psychological as if I think about it it becomes worse, and sometimes I don't have it at all. One thing that bothers me is that fact that I sometimes have A LOT of urine left over in my urethra along with ejaculation. There seems to be 1-2 drops left over in my penile urethra after I void, or something it can be completely full. I have to milk it out which is annoying. There also seems to be some left over in the bulbar urethra.

Did any of you have a swollen urethra after your scope? Some men say they didn't but did have blood and burning for days and weeks, and a few have said they had a puffy urethra for a few days. Do you think it's likely that I have developed a stricture near the tip of my penis? Did the urodynamics test possibly cause one in the bulbar? My flow is strange. It's up and down. Sometimes it comes out fast, other times average, and then it dribbles. I'm 33 and don't have BPH but have been diagnosed with "chronic non-bacterial prostititis". I hate having to pee sitting down, and dealing with this massive after dribble at my age.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jason,

I can only comment that after my cysto I had a UTI for days on end until I got a script for it. My urologist said I was a rare case that I UTI from a cysto. Still, maybe do not rule it out.

As for the cysto, damn it hurt a lot - the ONLY time I ever yelled the "F" word in a doctor's office. So my question too all of you out there is what did your Urologist do to numb the pain for a cysto? All I got was a few drops of something in my penis tip opening. Is there nothing out there they can give you as a local injection? I remember decades ago getting a vasectomy and they gave me injections in the groin. I had zero pain for that procedure. Why don't or won't they do that for a cysto, or even a biopsy? Ho told me they just don't do that.

• Posted

I did not get a UTI, thankfully. The only way to avoid any pain is to have a general anaesthetic. I honestly didn't feel any pain. A very slight pinch and then I needed to pee when he looked in my bladder. Did your urethra not swell up for a little bit after? I don't understand why mine did. It must have been trauma. He went very slowly and used a lot of lube/local. Maybe I am just prone to it. My urethral opening isn't very small either. It's of normal size. Plus, the scope is smaller than a indwelling cath.

• Posted

Hello Michael:

Before they stick any scopes or catheters into the plumbing, they are supposed to put lidocaine jelly into the pipe then cap it off with a clamp so it doesn't ooze out and wait 5 minutes for it to take effect. It's supposed to numb the urethra and make it easier for the tools to slide in and back out.

Doctors and their assistants are in such a hurry these days they usually just inject the gel, wait 20 or so seconds then proceed whether it has take full effect or not.

That's why I don't let female healthcare workers do this type of thing on me. They don't have the plumbing so they have NO clue what it feels like so they cannot really feel for what you are going through.

Regards,

Raffie

• Posted

Jason,

I had a cystoscope a year ago and I got a UTI three days later, and there was blood in my urine for several days. I had to run to the bathroom every 15 minutes - very stressful. Took antibiotics and began to feel much better quickly. Anytime a tube is shoved up your urethra there can be irritation and some bleeding. You can also get some urine test strips and find out if there is anything unusual going on - a lot less expensive than going in for repeated urine tests at the lab. Recently I did go to the lab then compared the result with my test strips - exactly the same. Lab copay cost me $30. Test strips cost pennies.

Tom

• Posted

Thanks, Tom. Everything was OK on the UTI front. I'm more concerned about the swelling that took place. It's the same spot where I believe I have now developed a stricture from trauma due to the cystoscopy. Did you have any swelling with yours?

• Posted

Jason,

It was difficult to tell if there was swelling because of the UTI - it felt like burning to pee. All symptoms cleared rapidly after the antibiotic - actually, 90% OK within four hours of my first dose. After anything is shoved up your tube there is going to be some irritation of the lining and some swelling. We are all different. My tissues are very sensitive and I can't self cath, but some here do it regularly with no issues.

Tom

• Posted

Did any of you have a swollen urethra after your scope?

I've had 4 cystoscopies in the last 18 months and had no issues other than a little burning the first time I pee'd afterwards.

• Posted

Hmm. So do you think something went wrong? Or I reacted badly? It does worry me because the opening to my urethra was very swollen for an hour or two. But I had no burning or bleeding. I can't understand it. Maybe it has caused a stricture then?

• Posted

Hmm. So do you think something went wrong? Or I reacted badly? It does worry me because the opening to my urethra was very swollen for an hour or two.

There's no way for me or anyone else to diagnose that from your description. You need to rely on your doctor for that kind of information.

• Posted

Jason would be looking for sharing of similar experiences rather than diagnosis on this forum, no?🤔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.