Swooshing/Heartbeat noise in RIGHT EAR ONLY

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last Tuesday I came on to the Flu pretty abruptly I went to the emergency room Wednesday and had a fever and doctor told me I had the flu that Wednesday is when the ringing/whooshing noise started in my Right ear ONLY they prescribed me tami flu for the flu symptoms my flu is now gone I still have a bit of congestion and I'm spitting out phlegm that was greenish brown in the beginning of my flu but now it's clear white I have literally tryed everything for the whooshing noise in my ear does anybody have any remedies ? Sometimes it's really bad and sometimes it's Ok but faint last night I went to the emergency room and they said my ear looks fine but maybe that I might have Right subjective tinnitus and to see a ENT  I am a young women in my early 20s if that helps has anybody else develop tinnitus while having the flu ? Please Help ! 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sasha - yes that’s how mine started.  Terrible flu mid January followed by cough and congestion.  Went to clinic several times and they confirm fluid still in my ears and prescribe nasal spray and said to take over the counter decongestant.  Went to see my family doctor yesterday and thee is still fluid in my ears and she gave me a referral to ENT.    The tinnitus is loud some days - sure hope once ears are drained it goes away.  Drives me batty and sometimes so loud can’t sleep.  Never knew I could miss silence so much.  Good luck - hoping this isn’t permanent for us.
    • Posted

I have a super dry cough the CVS by my House told me to try sudafed it helped my congestion but swooshing noise still in ear , time again today it felt a little better less loud to be honest but still very There I find myself sleeping on the pillow to witch side my ear is swooshing to go To sleep or leaving the tv on when it's very loud I hope that it is not permanent for us! 

• Posted

I have been using sudafed and nasal spray for almost 2 months nothing helps.  But there is still fluid in my ears - not draining.  Family doc has referred me to an ENT.  She thinks ENT may want to put tubes in to drain the fluid.  Perhaps once fluid is gone this noise will stop.  Sure hope so.
    • Posted

I went to the emergency to get my ear checked out and they said it wasn't swollen or anything did your family doc do a certain thing to see the fluid in your ear ?

• Posted

Yes she took a look and saw the fluid.  She just used an otoscope. 
    • Posted

Was it pointy ? The emergeny room doctor put some type of gadget in my ear that went deep wonder if that was it 🤔

• Posted

Yes that’s what it was.  Usually has a light too so they can have a look.   My doc confirmed there is fluid on both ears.   I had been to the clinic twice since Jan and both times the doctor on call took a look and confirmed fluid present.   The last time I went to the clinic they told me to see my family doctor to get a referral to ENT as they didn’t do referrals.
  • Posted

I developed tinnitus when I was quitting smoking. So I was spitting up gunk, mood swings, felt sick etc. It started it my right ear only and then a week or two later my left ear started to ring as well. I went to the ENT doctor 6 months later bc it still hadn’t gone away, and they did a hearing test and saw that I have hearing loss and was diagnosed with a somewhat rare disease. 

That is just my experience. If I were you, I’d go see an ENT to make sure it isn’t fluid in the ear or something. If everything checks out and they send you home, wait a while and go back if the ringing doesn’t stop or gets worse after a few months. 

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that 😢 Thanks for the reply my little brother is the one that got me sick with the flu he had the ringing in his ear for 3 weeks hopefully I end up just like him but I'm going to go to my primary doctor so I can get a referral to a ENT the noise is super annoying 😩 How I wish my ear was back to normal! How do you cope with the ringing ? Any suggestions???

• Posted

Is your ringing constant or are there days it isn’t as loud.  That’s the way mine has been since mid Jan after the flu.  I am trying various things.  Googled natural remedies to drain the fluid as I really don’t want the tubes put in which is what my doctor guessed the ENT would do.

These may seem odd but I have had the noise subside a bit - maybe coincidental but helps to do something:

1:  2 teaspoonfuls of apple cider vinegar (with the mother) in glass of water with 1 teaspoon of organic honey.

2.  Using a neti-pot twice a day

3.  Exercise - elliptical , walking.  Even hoping on one leg with head tilted

4.  Recently got into essential oils and been mixing a blend of those that I read online was good for draining ears.   I rub carrarier oil first around the ear and down next and a little inside ear (not ear canal) and then later blend of essential oils same places.

For sleeping tv on (timer for 30 min) or white noise - helps me drift off.

Would love to hear from others and their suggestions for living with this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.