Symfony IOL expectations

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello I posted earlier on these forums regarding my prep for cataract surgery sometime later this year. I would just like to hear how people implanted with the Symfony IOL lens are holding up after their eyes have have healed abit and settled down. Im still having a very hard time deciding if Symfony IOL is worth the risk of having the possibility of glare and halos at night for the extended depth of focus. How is the range of vision and is it really sharp and contrast compared to a monofocal? I'm also concerned about the widely discussed issue about having circles around lights during nighttime. I hear people say they see them on tailights of cars and some also say streetlights as well. I can only imagine what if you were to stumble upon a traffic jam freeway full of lights and cars or in a crowded city at night that those concentric circles multiplied by several dozens would be quite overwhelming. For people with Symfony, are you all seeing these visual webbed circles with the majority of lights at night? At concerts or sporting stadiums (with bright overhead projections ad what not) And how are you guys with watching at the movie theater since those situations are in a dark surroundings with sometimes very bright cinematography. I saw some posts saying people see a white glow around lettering in black/dark backgrounds on tvs or monitors. And another saying there's a halo around the moon! I would think that monofocal IOL lens would be more sharper contrast of detail when it comes to viewing lighting at nights. Eventually I really want to become a 3D concept artist, but if the Symfony might give me extra ordinary artifacts when working on a project on the computer that's gonna be a problem for me. I know a lot of people say their excellent for computer intermediate distance but what about seeing that clarity and contrast of light/dark figures on a screen. Will there be a suspectibiliy to glares and halos in that line of work?

I have a lot of factors to consider still and would highly appreciate some personal experience for everybody here that has had the Symfony IOL for cataract surgery. Since I am planning to work a lot with computers for my career i do like the convenience that the Symfony has and that it's good for intermediate range and some for distance but want to also know how does that range of vision holdup compared to a monofocal IOL. I understand the range of monofocal is not as varied and set at one point compared as the Symfony but which one is sharper at the desired distance? am worried that even a monofocal set for distance might be sharper or clearer than the Symfony IOL. And than using glasses on top of monofocal for other nearer close up and intermediate would be clearer as well? I know Symfony sounds good on paper but everything I hear on the personal annocdotes seem to be a lot of negative issues and people resorts to having them taken out.  I will have to think about this as I know their is no such thing as a perfect lens available. And it is what it is but still need to make a wise and well minded decision. 

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

For anyone considering a Symfony lens vs. an aspheric monofocal lens, this is from the Abbott official brochure for the Symfony lens:

"The TECNIS Symfony® IOL may cause a reduction in contrast sensitivity under certain conditions, compared to an aspheric monofocal IOL. The physician should carefully weigh the potential risks and benefits for each patient, and should fully inform the patient of the potential for reduced contrast sensitivity before implanting the lens in patients. Special consideration of potential visual problems should be made before implanting the lens in patients with macular disease, amblyopia, corneal irregularities, or other ocular disease which may cause present or future reduction in acuity or contrast sensitivity. Because the TECNIS Symfony® IOL may cause a reduction in contrast sensitivity compared to a monofocal IOL, patients implanted with the lens should be informed to exercise special caution when driving at night or in poor visibility conditions. Some visual effects associated with the TECNIS Symfony® IOL may be expected due to the lens design that delivers elongation of focus. These may include a perception of halos, glare, or starbursts around lights under nighttime conditions. The experience of these phenomena will be bothersome or very bothersome in some people, particularly in low-illumination conditions. On rare occasions, these visual effects may be significant enough that the patient may request removal of the IOL."

https: // www. vision. abbott/ us/ iols/ extended-depth-of-focus/ tecnis-symfony . html

• Posted

Regarding the statement, "These may include a perception of halos, glare, or starbursts around lights under nighttime condition," it is funny that instead of using the words "perception", the company can't simply say that the visual effects may include seeing halos, glare, or starbursts around lights under nighttime condition,"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.