Symfony Lens: Cataract surgery done on right eye- 37 years old- starbusts,haloetc

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 37 years old and recently got cataract surgery done on my right eye about 6 days back with Symfony Lens +17.5D. My vision is pretty good during daytime and night, I can see distance, intermediate and near about 18 inches away. But my main complain is stardusts with car headlights, glare with streelights/brakelights and some halos around random lights with rings. Is this going to be my normal vision at night or will it improve since its only being 6 days. I also have left eye surgery coming up with Symfony lens in few weeks, should i wait on my left eye , try different lens. What are my options. Also I was told that I have 5% PC on my right eye which is secondary cataract and cabe be removed by YAG after 3 months. Any help suggestions would be awesome?

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey Sam, do you find the glare and halos/rings from the Symfony debilitating enough to prevent you from driving at night time? You said that you are also experiencing halos around random sources of light... are they noticeable around tv monitors-screens? Going into stores with lots of fluorescent lighting etc? Also you mentioned that you have daytime glare as well? Do you find it hard to function in really bright sunny mid day environments as well? I'm sure since your in the beginning stages of healing it may fluctuate the next few days/weeks.  Like you I'm a lot younger at age 27, and am facing cataract surgery due to complicated issues but my opthamologist said that I'm a candidate for  monofocal or Symfony. and I absolutely love the benefit of added range the Symfony will offer to me. But I am worried about the issues of light sensitivity with Symfony during day or night as you mentioned. As of now I already see halos/ glare/ and starbursts around bright lights at night and also have bad sensitivity to bright mid day sun light.... if Symfony is a risk for all these problems I'm debating if it's worth all those issues to have more freedom from eyeglasses. i might be able to adapt to the Symfony lens if it's not much different than my nighttime issues right now (aside from the concentric circles/rings) but if daytime issues are intense as well I may just opt for an Alcon monofocal IOL because those have blue filters (yellow tinted) and would help with bright day time conditions for me. 

• Posted

I mainly see glare/stardust at headlights, with TV at night in dark room I do see some glare on the border of tv and some bright images but its very light, so does not bother me much. During day I am totally fine for now since I only have one eye done, not sure what will happen when I do both.

My main issue is glare/stardust at car headlights at night, again with my both eyes I don't see much since my left eye is not operated yet. 

I am reading at so many places that halos/glare etc for symfony is similar to monofocal. I am not sure if it applies to everyone.

• Posted

Try to make sure you really need YAG before you have it done since if you need a lens exchange after that it will be harder to do. Maybe get a second opinion as to if you really have PCO before you have the YAG done.
    • Posted

Also, 6 days is not very long, things can change. You should wait to make sure you are satisfied with the Symfony lens you already have before having surgery on your other eye.
    • Posted

Would you mind let me know what is PCO.
    • Posted

Thank you for the information. My 2end eye lazer cataract surgery is on December. The first eye I asked tecnis, and I got Alcon tecnis. In this link it is mentioned that certain IOl reduce the reoccurring of cataract, so reducing the chance of getting the Yag lazer treatment. Don't know what are those iol  reducing the chances of getting the secondary cataract.

• Posted

1. You may want to double-check the IOL which you have. Alcon does not make tecnis lenses: Abbott does that.

2. There are some pros and cons for every lens. Some of the lenses, like those made by Alcon, have square edges and high refractive index, which reduces the probability of developing PCO, but also increases the probability of developing dysphotopsias (which are the relections off the edges of the lenses by lights at night).

Thus, have a discussion with your surgeon to make a decision on the lens which will meet your desires.

• Posted

Yes,  the tecnis which i got is from Abbott. I also have grey colour very thin dysphotopsia, and i am used to it now. Thank you for the informed reply.
  • Posted

This a good informative link I found which explains IOL and night vision effects: https://crstoday.com/articles/2016-aug/night-vision-and-presbyopia-correcting-iols/

• Posted

Thanks for posting - interesting read. 
    • Posted

Overall, it is a good article to understand the night vision effects for the Multifocal lenses.

However, it is of a more limited value for the Symfony lens as it was written before the author had any patient with a Symfony lens and he was just going by the Abbott's sales pitch information at that time.

• Posted

Hey sam I was wondering if you ended up choosing another Symfony IOL lens for your 2nd eye? Also how are the halos/starbursts at night? Are they improving or are they staying about the same? Hopefully it diminishes as time passes. Best of luck
    • Posted

I have not done my left eye yet and i do not often go out at night, but i still see starbursts when i go, hard to tell if it's less yet, but most likely i will get left eye done in few weeks. I have follow up this week , than i will decide.

• Posted

You might want to go out a little more frequently even if it’s walking - gives brain time to adjust.  I walk every evening for an hour.  I think that has helped me adjust anyways.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.