Symfony Mini Monovision, how far away will be in focus?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am soon to have my left eye implanted first with a mini monovision approach of -0.5D to -0.75D for near reading and to later the right eye set for plano.

My natural reading distance is 45 -50cm.

1.I know that I will have a drop off of distance vision in my left eye due to the mini monovision but what distance do you think would be in focus before that happens and how out of focus will it be at distance?

2.Do you think that as only my right eye is set for plano and will be in focus at distance,would driving and playing golf etc be an issue with regard to judging depth perception and distance from other cars and objects etc?

Regards

Tom

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

With mini-monovision (less than 1D difference between eyes) depth perception should be fine.

-0.5D to -0.75D may give you OK intermediate vision say at 2 or 3 feet from a computer monitor, but may not be enough for reading a smartphone comfortably without reading glasses.

• Posted

Sorry, my previous post was for monofocal IOLs, but I see you are talking Symfony IOLs.

You should get decent near reading with a Symfony set at -0.50D or so.

Still depth perception should be OK with mini-monovision.

Usually for the distance eye, they often target -0.25D since you don't want to risk end up farsighted since the typical result variation is at least 0.50D from the target.

• Posted

Are you concerned about the Symfony night vision artifacts?

Some recommend using a monofocal IOL for the distance eye mixed with a Symfony IOL in the other eye set a little nearsighted with a target range similar to your plan -0.50D or so.

• Posted

I have two mono focal IOLs at 0.5D difference and see great at all ranges.  I'm not an expert on symfony lens but I've read too many posts on multi focal lens (including symfony) reducing clarity and contrast.  I don't know if this could be a problem seeing fine (and moving) objects like golf balls in the distance.  It's definitely something I would want to carefully research before getting a symfony. Also, it seems pretty clear from the posts I've read here that concentric rings, night vision halos, starbursts and artifacts could be a factor with symfony (even with only one symfony) or other multi focals.

I don't have any of those problems at all.  Over time, my near vision has gotten MUCH better just by doing a few simple things like reprogramming my brain to hold things a little further way (12-14" rather than 5" before surgery when I was very near sighted).  At my last 6 month checkup my distance vision was 20/20 and near was around 20/25. Also, just having adequate light either natural or my LED from my iphone to read things can make a huge difference in dim light.  Otherwise, I can just find a pair of reading glasses, but it's pretty rare that I ever need to.  In general, for me, I think my near vision has drastically improved because I found other ways to compensate without glasses and that is why it has improved so much.

• Posted

I think that you will be a lot happier if you get the Symfony lens in the left eye set for the best focus at -0.75D or even -1.0D (instead of -0.5D). You will be able to read better with that.

If you do achieve the target vision with the left lens, You should seriously think about just getting a monofocal lens set for about -0.25 D for the right eye. That combination should give you as good a day vision at different distances as the 2 Symfony lenses, but you will have a lot less chance of having night vision issues, such as seeing multiple circles around lights at night.

With your small amount of mini-monovision, you should not have any issue with depth perception etc (unless, may be, if you are an avid tennis player). I have had monovision, with about 2.25D difference between the 2 eyes, for more than 30 years and have never felt the lack of depth perception while participating in any activity, including skiing, hiking in the mountains etc.

• Posted

Thanks for all the comments.

I am going to wait for the healed results (maybe up to 6 months) of the Left Symfony set for near before selecting the right eye lens.

I am hoping that any halo`s or glare will be minimal so I can have Symfony`s in both eyes as I think having an extended depth of focus in both eyes would be a more natural view of the world.

So anyone that has a Symfony set for -0.5D or -0.75D can they describe at what distance away remains in focus,would it be say 5,10  20 feet or more.

Tom

• Posted

I would guess you probably might get 20/25 or 20/30 distance vision (20ft+) with -0.5D to -0.75D
  • Posted

So has anyone set Symfony to -0.5D and how was their experience?
  • Posted

Yes I would like to hear a FIRST HAND experience on how far is in focus with a Symfony eye set for -0.5D or -0.75D.

Just interested in the eye set for near as the other eye will be set for Plano anyway.

thanks

• Posted

So far I am only hearing speculation.  Personal experience will be very helpful.  Two of the surgeons I met last week said that Symfony set for near is not advisable.  But again speculation, anyone done it??
    • Posted

Just my thoughts and likely speculation on my part too but due to variables other than lens type and target - if if same lens and target achieved could mean different outcomes for 2 different people.  Mine are targeted for plano (and confirmed by optometrist) and I see well at 11 inches.  Someone else with same target and lens can’t see closer than 18 inches.

There could be cornea differences etc that account for how well one sees.

Guess I am trying to say that someone’s personal experience won’t predict another person’s outcome.

• Posted

I would like to hear a FIRST HAND experience on how far AT DISTANCE is in focus with a Symfony eye set for -0.5D or -0.75D.Just interested in the eye set for near as the other eye will be set for Plano anyway.

thanks

• Posted

When asking such questions you need to bear in mind how much residual astigmatism someone has can significantly affect the answer as well as light level (a sunny day can be 1000+ times brighter than a dimly lit room), rounding to nearest 0.25D, IOP, the cornea and even quality of the tear film at the time.

I tracked my own vision after multiple eye surgeries using focal distance and a distance chart all in a controlled light level and double checked using my own optometry test kit.  This was partly to assess progress but also for interest and I was surprised how small variables could affect results so much, eg. several rows on the chart just due to temporary astigmatism or dry eye affecting the tear film.  

So unless you can find many people with such an IOL setup and accurate tests of their vision its down to best guess and calculation as some of the earlier replies have tried to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.