SYMFONY TORIC (Multifocal Lens)

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am curious to know if any of you have the same lenses that I do.  Two weeks ago I got my right eye done with Symfony Toric (for astigmatism).  I am getting the left eye done next week.  Today I had my second post-op and all in all I pretty satisfied.  I work on the computer all day during the day and see quite clearly - although my left eye still has cataract.  However, when I walk or look at a distance I feel a little off balanced of some sort, or almost out of whack.  The doctor says it's the brain telling the eye to do one thing with one eye and the other trying to compensate.  Understandable.  I'm curious to get my second eye done and see results.  Other than that, the only real thing I see problematic is glare off headlights or even sometimes concentric circles around lights.  I'm told this hopefully will improve with time and to be patient. 

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I had the Symfony Toric lens (ZXT450) implanted in my left eye about a year ago and ZXT375 in the right about four weeks later. Other than starbursts around bright lights at night and difficulty reading newsprint unaided in poor light, I couldn't be more pleased with the results. Hope you will be in time.

• Posted

Is it starburst you see around bright lights, or is it concentric circles?  Do you drive?  If so, are you having difficulty?  I went to drive the other night and had to turn around and go back.  I'm hoping when I get the other eye done in 2 days it gets better.

• Posted

It is a little of both and though I drive during the day I find bright headlights (in particular) prevent me from driving after dark.
  • Posted

In answer to your questions:

1. I do have a Symfony Toric lens in my right eye.

2. The cataract in your left eye is probably affecting your binocular vision and having an effect on balance, specially if you did not have that issue before the right eye surgery. That should not be a problem after you have the second eye surgery.

3. Once you have the cataract surgery in the left eye, the visual effects such as multiple concentric circles may get somewhat better or worse. Your seeing them will not change after the first few days. That does not happen in spite of the standard surgeons' line on that. What will happen is that you will learn to deal better with those.

• Posted

Hi at201.  Makes sense.  As to your #3 answer above, does this effect your driving at night?  
    • Posted

All the night vision issues, such as multiple circles around lights (halos), starbursts, glare etc, do affect your night driving. One just learns to deal with those. If your vision gets better with time, the starbursts or glare my get better. However, unfortunately, seeing the multiple circles around lights at night are a result of the Symfony design (and individual eye characteristics) and will not change with time.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.  How long have you had your lenses?
    • Posted

I have had the Sumfony toric lens in my right eye since December 1, 2016 (the monofocal lens in my left eye has been there for more than 19 years).
    • Posted

My doctor hasn't told me yet what lens he is putting in tomorrow.  My right eye has the Symfony toric multifocal so I will find out today if it is the monofocal or yet another multifocal.  Unsure what is normally done.  So you do drive at night okay, although not the norm?

• Posted

Yes. I can drive at night, but not as comfortably as I probably would have with a monofocal lens (instead of a Symfony) in my right eye.

The decision to put the type of lens in your left eye should be your, based on your discussion with your surgeon: it should not be his / her decision.

• Posted

Right eye was done 2 weeks ago, I'm getting the left done tomorrow. 

• Posted

I’m in a similar boat as you are. Had right eye done 5 weeks ago. Set for distance but my best vision is intermediate. I feel off balance at times too. Having my second eye done next week so hoping for better overall vision and focus with having both done. Good luck to you!
    • Posted

Good luck diange48177!  I'm getting my left eye done in two days.  If you drive, what is your vision like at night while doing so?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.