Symmetrical Full Body Hair Loss

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have hair loss on different parts of my body that is mirrored on the other side of my body.

It started just above my ankles with both right and left losing hair in exactly the same places.

I then noticed the same on my chest, my forearms with both left and right losing hair in exactly the same places.

It was then both my eyebrows.

My hairline on my head is now retreating and I have noticed my thighs are now losing hair.

Hair pulls out easily and has thick, white substance on the root.

Over the years I have been to various doctors and also a dermatologist but not really any answers in terms of causes.

The fact that it isn't just random and is symmetrical is what I dont really understand.

If anyone has this or any ideas about the causes I'd love to hear from you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I agree with you that it doesn't seem to be typical alopecia areata type hairloss.

Maybe try an integrative doctor who can test you for things like vitamin deficiencies, low ferritin, viruses, etc..

I'm not saying it's not alopecia areata, I've seen it manifest in all kinds of strange ways. The second time I lost all of my hair it just thinned until it was gone. The first time it happened in typical bald spots that just grew and grew. My body hair just disappears, not sure where it even went! I know a woman who just lost all her fingernails and toenails, and another who woke up one morning with all of her hair on her pillow. It's a strange disease indeed.

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will certainly look into being tested for deficiencies etc. Thank you for the suggestions and information.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.