Symptoms

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am new to this.  I was on 60 mg prednisone for two weeks, went down to 50 mg 

Two days ago.  

Today, good until 830 pm when I got out of work and was walking about .5 miles to car, got the pain behind my eyeball and base of skull 

Also same side still healing biopsy site painful 

Bad ringing in my ears sorta in my ears it actually seems to be in bk if my head. 

Rheumatology said if symptoms, go back to previous dose.  Head and eye pain only lasted for about 30 min, but ringing is still bothered and biopsy site now only hurts if I touch it, but the other side doesn’t hurt if I touch that side...  so back to 60 (I take it at bedtime) ??

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

linda0458, did your biopsy test positive for GCA? I would go back to 60, be aware of GCA. Call your Rheumy the first chance you get. Think positive!
    • Posted

The biopsy was negative but Rheumatologist said since I was in steroids a month prior it might be false.  She gave dx of GCA.. now double vision and pain in head severe.. do I take the 60 and call her or whoever is on call tonight or can it wait til morning it is 12 am here

Never had double vision before

• Posted

It’s like I can see a mirror image of the words below the words not as bold more like a reflection
    • Posted

linda, I would take the 60, call first thing in the morning. GCA, is nothing to fool with. As time goes by you will be better able to listen to your body. I bump my Pred and notify the Rheumy after the fact. I taper using a modified DSNS method, maybe you should think about trying that method. I also will not reduce if I have any PMR pain.

Think positive!

• Posted

Thanks Mich I took the extra 10 and will call someone in AM.  I have been doing a lot of research about GCA, Since I was diagnosed and started on treatment.  I’m very afraid of going blind my father woke up blind he thought the House was on fire everything looked Smokey to him , he didn’t have GCA, he had macular degeneration but whatever the cause, I do not want to be on that path.

Thank you again for your support and help!

• Posted

You are welcome, hope tomorrow is a better day. Taper slowly it is not a race. Some Rheumies what to rush us off Pred, don't let them do it to you.

Good luck on your journey, each one of these episodes become a bump in the road. Think positive and try to smile, I believe it helps. 🙂

• Posted

I think so yes, for safety's sake. Though of course my opinion is a bit late! 

Ear symptoms can also be part of GCA it has been realised - and a survey is going in the Uk at present. 

• Posted

Waiting in ER, due to eye pain double vision difficulty swallowing ringing in ears well back of head 
    • Posted

They said I’m fine 

Keep at the 60 mg state it’s an impossibility to have double vision with one eye closed... apparently I can do the impossible, therefore, I’ll get through this.

• Posted

That is the attitude Linda, think positive you will get through it. 🙂

• Posted

When I had my first stroke my vision was cross-eyed not that my eyes were but my vision was kind of crossed and double vision kind of. I call my Dr but in order to see the number I crossed one eye and that improve my vision. So there's proof that you can't have double vision with one eye.

• Posted

Visual disturbances can be a sign of a stroke. I would hightail it to the emergency room so that they can at least rule that out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.