SYMPTOMS

Posted , 6 users are following.

A few years ago when the doctor order bloodwork he mentioned dry eyes and dry mouth. When I researched the internet other than those symptoms nothing else was mentioned. Reading discussions, I see a lot of other symptoms tinnitus, gastrointestinal, heart palpitations. It is hard to believe that the doctors are unaware of all the symptoms and that a patient is passed from one doctor to another doctor.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I agree. When I first tested positive for Sjögrens of course I was upset since I knew it was a chronic autoimmune disease but I was like”dry mouth, dry eyes; big deal as I had been dealing with those symptoms for a long time. How wrong was my thinking! It can be so much worse and effect some major organs! It is interesting that although I tested positive for Sjögrens thru blood work it is not listed on my long list of diagnosis. The whole issue is frustrating and confusing. I’m having a really hard time with symptoms as of late but trying to stay positive. Not easy many minutes.....🖐

• Posted

My observations have been the same! I was initially diagnosed with RA and Sicca (Sjögren’s). This appeared on my notes but my rheumatologist never spoke of it. My GP gave me eye drops at request of my optician and no one explained that it was a systemic autoimmune disease in its own right. 

Due to small fibre neuropathy everywhere but no sign of RA anymore - I was rediagnosed with Sjögren’s as my main disease a few years ago when my ANA and lip biopsy were very positive. Now no one knows what to do with me and I’m passed about like a bad parcel no one cares to unwrap!

I conclude life was much more straight forward with RA. The fatigue and neuro symptoms are, frankly, awful! 

• Posted

I so agree! I remember hoping for “simple” ra diagnosis. How crazy is that! Thanks all again for the advice and support. It really helps!
    • Posted

I just got back from an appointment with a Orthopedic doctor for arthritis in my hands. He gave me cortisone in both thumbs........this is the 4th time in 2 1/2 years. He said I should consider surgery for the bone on bone issues at the base of both thumbs. I've talked to 3 friends who have had this done and are so happy with the results and all wished they had done it sooner and not suffered for years with the pain. I may have it done in Arizona this winter. 

I mentioned to this doctor that I had Sjogrens and that is why I'm on Azathioprine for small fiber neuropathy. He just looked at me and didn't say a thing. Wonder if he even knows what Sjogrens is??  You would think he would have at least discussed it but guess he feels it's not important. Oh well.........

• Posted

Hate to think it but he may not know anything about Sjögrens. Even with medical persons I have learned to never assume that they know....and if many do; just think it’s a little dry eyes and mouth. Boy. It can be so much more! Beverly, after your comments to the doctor did you hear crickets? 😀😀😀😀??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.