Symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Over the past few weeks I've been experiencing a lot of issues with my throat. Twice I've woken up unable to swallow saliva, my mouth is constantly dry

I'm not someone who regularly goes to the doctors/hospital. Not once in five years prior to this, but both times I ended up in A&E, I was checked over and after blood tests told it was an infection (first time) and a virus (second time). I was then referred to an ENT clinic, where I had a camera down my throat, all was ok.

However It's now been 6 weeks where I've felt tired, had an irritable throat that responds badly to things like caffeine, and the **main worry, two swollen lymph nodes on the right side of neck.

The nodes have been swollen the whole time, they decrease and increase in size regularly. I did some reading and saw a major symptom of Hodgkins Lymphoma is Lymph nodes swelling after alcohol, mine are definitely doing this, even after 1 or 2 beers, nothing major.

I'm on edge and want Cancer to be ruled out, but I feel as if I've not been taken seriously by the doctors I've seen. Surely lymph nodes shouldnt be swollen for 6 weeks even during a virus? I've experienced no weight loss or night sweats, but the swelling and constant fatigue, as well as reaction to alcohol makes me think this is more than a virus.

Would be greatful for any advice, thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your symptoms could be due to strep throat (bacterial infection) or mononucleosis 'mono' for short, a virus. As you've been told separately that they suspected an infection and then something viral, one of these could be the diagnosis. If you have swollen tonsils and red and/or white spots in your throat it's probably strep. Neither are nice but if treated quickly neither are life threatening.

• Posted

HI Loxie, thanks for your reply,

They're both things I've considered also, but my tonsils are absolutely fine and the camera showed no issue with my throat besides it being dry.

They've since ruled out an infection because my blood tests showed no sign of one. As I say they think virus but haven't specifically said what kind.

The Lymph nodes are the aspect that really worry me, that and just a general feeling of being unwell. I did have Glandular fever in 2014 but again, that has been ruled out as my glands are fine too.

• Posted

Hi Luke

Guess you'll have to keep pushing for further tests until they determine what's causing the problem. I had issues with swollen throat glands a few years back, without tonsil problems either. It ended up with an MRI which determined that I had both a deep rooted infection and a viral problem with a root of a back tooth. I hadnt had toothache or any indication of a tooth problem. The infection was low grade and wasnt showing in blood tests but it was deep in the jaw and had spread to a wider area. I hope you manage to get to the 'root' of your problem soon.

• Posted

Insist on a biopsy; find out if they can do the "simpler" needle biopsy. No cutting; just

a needle. Have they considered a sonogram ... or something like that? You have a right to know and be taken seriously. Is insurance the problem? Medicine has become such a racket.

One good doctor told me once about lymph nodes in the neck, that they would be hard to the touch, not soft. They "examine" my neck so quickly. Will follow you.

About swallowing, do you get Botox for any reason? The possibility of not being able to swallow is real (and frightening).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.