Symptoms, a bit embarrassing..

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism in April 2017 so it's been about a year now and I'm almost 27 years old. I'm still struggling with my symptoms. I have one in particular that I'd like to see if anyone else is experience.

My sex drive.. I've completely lost it and have no interest in sex at all. I've been told by my doctor that this could be quite common but I've always been too scared to ask about further info on it. Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm so glad I've just found this forum!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachael,

I got diagnosed with graves disease back in June last year and yesterday I was told I had thyroid eyes disease as well, ive had nothing but problems since being diagnosed with this and my sex drive is one of them.... I have never addressed the issue as of yet as there were other things going on with my thyroid but I'm at my doctors Monday in hope they can help some how. You are definetly not alone on this my sex drive went months and months ago and luckily the fiance is understanding. Xx

• Posted

Hi Tonia,

Oh gosh, thank you so much for your reply, I'm actually getting emotional and cried a little knowing I'm not the only one. I thought I was! I'm exactly the same, I've been trying to get my thyroid back on track first before treating other problems. And I'm so happy your fiancé is understanding, my boyfriend of 2.5 years is too. I've told him several times I'd understand if he wanted to leave me as it cannot be fair to him, we went a few months without any kind of.. play.. but he refuses and has stuck by my through everything - we need supportive people in our lives!

Please let me know if you want to talk or anything smile I've really been struggling with finding people my own age (roughly) with this disease x

• Posted

Hi rachaelfisher, you might want to discuss this during your next appointment with the endocrinologist or GP. A low libido is an important indicator and might mean that your sex hormone level is out of balance. Your endocrinologist or GP could check among others your estradiol, testosterone, and SHBG levels. If you are still hyperthyroid your SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin) level might be high resulting in too much of the sex hormone being present in bound (inactive) form. On the other hand, if you are taking anti-thyroid drugs you might be over-medicated and (borderline) hypothyroid. 

Was the cause of your hyperthyroidism ever determined? Are you currently on any thyroid medication?

• Posted

Hi DanR,

I never thought of discussing those specific hormones with my doctor as the past year we've only been focusing on my thyroid and getting my medication right for that. I'm on Carbimazole and propranolol for my fast heart beat.

Can you be both Hyper AND Hypo then?

I have a family history of hyper/hypo and thyroid cancer and I've got a large goitre on my thyroid, I had a biopsy and my lump is non-cancerous, thankfully!

• Posted

Even if your thyroid hormone levels are checked at regular intervals it is still a challenge to find the ideal anti-thyroid medication dose. The thyroid output varies throughout the day and is even affected by our activity level. For example, aerobic exercise (jogging, swimming, etc) raises the thyroid hormone level.  

Is the thyroid nodule causing your hyperthyroidism? What is your long-term treatment plan? 

I was severely hyperthyroid in 2015. As a result, my sex hormone levels were abnormal and my nipples became painful and somewhat swollen. (I am male.) A few months after my thyroid levels normalized the tenderness subsided. 

• Posted

Hey, you are not alone. I was diagnosed at 25 and felt completely lost. The symptoms caused me to lose my job and push away the people closest to me. A week ago my thyroid relapsed and I'm back yo square one (I'm 28). Don't let this disease get the best of you.

I'm also a triathlete and having graves restricts me from anything physical and it lowers my sex drive. It suck, but it gets better

-Scott

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.