Symptoms After Gallbladder Removal.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just wondering how many of you that have had their gallbladder removed are still getting symptoms.

If you felt sick before do you still get this now, are you still restricted by what foods you can eat ? Would be grateful to hear of any problems after surgery as I'm facing surgery and as I'm not far off 70 with other health issues too I'm feeling rather worried.

Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I had mine out in February. I'm only 38 with no other health problems. But other than the incision scars still a bit tender and iffy bowels (some days a bit loose)I have had no problems or symptoms like I had before the op

• Posted

Hello! LInda:  I am in my late 80's and am remission from 2 differenent cancers

(thanks be) now I have a 3rd blood cancer which the doctor for the past 3yrs.

wanted me on a chemo med.  I refused and changed my diet.  I just discovered

that I have a mild gall bladder which one doctor told me to have removed and

the sugeon told me to wait...I am waiting and AGAIN I am limiting my diet.

NO high fat contained foods e.g. cheese, creams etc. No red meats and lots of

water to drink.  Not only has my blood cancer improved but my symptoms of

gall bladder have lessen.  I do not recommend this but age has a factor and

I prefer to let my body heal and take care of itself.  I have had cancer surgeries

but the outcome of not having one was dangerous.  Not having a gall bladder

surgery (BEFORE a diet change) I would NOT attempt.  Have faith and prevail

as you feel what is best for you.  Good luck!

• Posted

France's, what do you eat? I am having a hard time finding food I can eat. It has been 23 months since the gb came out and I am still sick just about every day.

I haven't had fat in two weeks but have eaten a lot of fruit. So today I added diarrhea to the list.

Any food suggestions would be appreciated.

You are an inspiration.

• Posted

Hello Frances

Thank you for your info. Glad you are in remission from the cancers. I will try some diet changes. I am on a very restricted diet anyway due to diverticulitis but last night I ate a tiny amount of turkey and I felt so sick afterwards.

Can you say what foods you find you are okay with ?

I only drink water and the odd cup of camomile tea so ok there,

it's food I'm finding it hard to know what to eat.

• Posted

Sorry but just read your message.  When I was pregnant (many years ago) I was told to eat saltines before getting out of bed.  I decided with the gall

bladder I would try the same (only unsalted..there is a choice). This has help tremendously so I keep a pack near me all day and when my stomach appear to be acting up I eat a few saltines.  I also do not eat any food high in Iron content e.g. cabbage red meats etc.this is due to my blood cancer but works for gall bladder too since I am still on NO iron

I then added Low fat (no more than 5grs) and have stuck to that for

a few months.  I am surviving plus drinking a lot of water (50oz per day)

and walking.  I eat 5 small meals (not the 3 most people eat daily) and

snack on the saltines when needed.  This is Presently working for me

and hopefully for you.  If I left any hint out I will try to send another message later...but it is a Start.  NO foods high in Iron and NO fat content foods over 5grs..plus water.  The low salt Saltines help a great deal too.  Let me know.   Good luck!!

• Posted

Linda, I could have written this. Yes, I still have the same sick feeling all the time. It's been 23 months. I wish I had known.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi nancy

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems after gb removal. I have read that salts help post op, do a search on it.

I find I'm ok with potato, very small amounts of carrot, cauliflower or green beans, it's finding something to go with it I'm struggling with. I don't eat red meat and now it looks like turkey is a no no too.

Good luck and let me know if you find anything you can eat.

• Posted

I had my surgery on Valentine's Day this year so it's been almost three months.  I eat pretty clean, but today my husband was craving wings from Buffalo Wild Wings.  I forgot I just had gall bladder surgery and they are so good.  I ordered traditional well done with MILD sauce.  It didn't matter.  The fact that they were fried first did me in.  I ate four tiny wings and two mini corn dogs and I'm sitting on the couch battling serious nausea.  I've had four trips to the bathroom - soft but not yet diarrhea. I have a lot of allergies to fruit, nuts, and tree nuts so I'm always looking for food I can eat.  Just keep trying small amounts of everything.  At first I couldn't eat anything with cheese or sauce.  Now I'm back with veggie pizza and even small amounts of pepperoni.  Just start with really small amounts.  Try also to drink lots of water and/or seltzer with lemon or lime, don't gulp, sip.  It seems to help me - and try not to drink it ice cold.  Good luck!

• Posted

hi, I just had mine removed 2 weeks ago.. it had caused acute pancreatitis.. for the most part I feel pretty good but still have quite a bit of gas. the procedure itself was very quick and simple with very little discomfort afterwards.. you will feel a lot better afterwards.. hope this helps. good luck??

• Posted

Most people don't like hearing this but you need to learn to love your veggies and fruits. Vegetables should be the main portion of everyone's meal for optimal health. Eat meat and other stuff as side dishes instead. Avoid anything deep fried. As a general rule of thumb you should avoid fast food or commercial food all together. Cook your meals from scratch.

I eat large servings of veggies 3 times a day, with servings of rice, bread, meat etc in between. All well prepared. Incorporate coconut oil in your diet. Try using healthy stuff like quinoa or buckwheat they're very tasty. Limit your gluten and dairy intake. No soy. Nothing with artificial chemicals or preservatives as these tax your liver. Snack on fruit or dry cereal in between. And absolutely avoid processed meets like bacon, salami, pepperoni etc. These are full of sodium, chemicals and fat.

Following this I can pretty much eat anything in small amounts after my op. I'm even having peanut butter occasionally.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.