Symptoms after PE's

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I had pulmonary embolisms in both lungs in November and then had Pneumonia a week after discharge from hospital so was back in again.

I have been out of hospital for 7 weeks and although I do feel better in some respects (I can now walk and eat etc) but I am getting some symptoms that are concerning me, although I have been to the gp and see her nearly every week.

I get a chest heaviness that comes on randomly, the feeling of rapid / heavy heartbeats, disorintated and feel wobbly, catching of breath and then the feeling of can't breathe properly.

Does anyone else have or had any of these symptoms?

Debby

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Debbie . At last someone that's like me.Yes I have this heavy feeling in my chest. As if something pressing down on it. Irregular heart beat at times. Doctor said not palpitations. Please can we chat . I am sure people think it is my imagination. My PE was in August. When was yours. lizzie

• Posted

Of course we can chat.  I too think at times that people think I am imagining some of the symptoms.

My PE's were diagnosed in November

• Posted

My PE was found in Oct and I still have good and bad days. I am thankful for this chat group because it's the only place that understands and doesn't think I'm making up these symptoms!! I've had Drs laugh at me. Think I'm over researching. I did find my medicated inhaler helps with some of the pain.

I have my 2 day stress test on Mon and Tue. The also drew blood to send to North Indiana lab for a clotting disorder I should have results by next Thur.

• Posted

My doctors looks like she doesnt really know what to say sometimes when I try and describe how I am feeling and how some of the symptoms just come on for no reason.

Good luck with the stress test, and I am glad you getting the blood test for a clotting disorder.

• Posted

I only found this forum yesterday. Made me realise how many people have suffered PE. It is very scary. The doctor's mostly go by information they get from us. It is so hard to describe sometimes. How long have you been on blood thinners. Nose bleeds must be scary.x

• Posted

It is really difficult to describe how you are feeling at times as there are so many different feelings that are going on at once!

These last few days have not been good for me, am hoping that it will pass.

I have been on blood thinners since November

• Posted

Let me know how you get on. I take Citalapram for anxiety anyway as I have a lot of stress coping with my son who is mentally handicapped and an elderly sister with dementia. Thanks for listening.Speak to you again soon. x
    • Posted

It must be very difficult for you.

Do you find that the Citalapram helps?

Take care x

• Posted

Thanks Debbie yes just 20mg and I can cope all day. But this recovery is taking its toll. I think it is just that you don't know what is going on inside your body and when it will get back to normal. you take care too. xx

• Posted

I know how you feel.  These last few days have been horrible and at times I feel worse then when I was in hospital, it is so worrying as you don't know what is going on and if these feelings are all part of the PE's or is it something else.

Roll on normaility x

• Posted

hello there, anyone still following this thread? I wanted to know how others are doing, + 3 months post PE. I am only still in week one... but I'm feeling ok, just very tired and still a little breathless. Dreading the thought of going back to work -- even though that is only in a few weeks. I feel like my priorities have changed completely. Did this happen to anyone?

• Posted

Hi

I was diagnosed in November with large bilateral pe's, 5 months on and although I feel alot better and can do things I still get a little breathless and have right heart strain, get good days and not so good days.

I am still going for tests and had another echocardiogramme today.

I get very anxious and this has come on terribly since the pe's.

Listen to your body it has gone through a trauma and needs time to recover. Don't worry about going back to work and if you are not ready then you need to take more time off.  I don't know how many/large your pe's were, but it takes time to recover from this.  No-one can say exactly how long as everyone is different, some say months and others say a few years to fully feel better.

Listen to the consultant, doctor and your body.

Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.