Symptoms after taking Amlodipine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there - I am wondering if anyone has experienced more Gerd and bloating with gas after stopping Amlodipine.  I know a lot of people complain about stomach issues while on Amlodipine, but mine have seemed to have gotten really ramped up after stopping this nasty drug.  I feel like everything I eat is going to give me heartburn or gas pains. I am 45 plus days off of the Amlodipine, but still taking Avalide 300/25. Ugh! Ugh! Ugh!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debra, after I stopped taking Amlodipine it took almost 3 months for the bloating and gerds to subside. I'm almost 5 months out and now and  it appears that my intestinal system is returning to normal. I'm so relieved that I do not have the bloating or discomfort that I experienced while on Amlodipine.  I am now able to eat again which is such a relief. Your body may need a little more time to heal. ....hope you feel better soon. 

• Posted

Oh thank you for that, it's comforting to hear that this is still a result of the nasty drug & will hopefully resolve itself with time.  After being on Amlodipine for 5 years, I can't expect my body to just magically recover from it.  I know people have said that they suffered from stomach issues while on the drug, but outside from a few episodes of bad GERD, I really didn't.  Since coming off the drug, it's a whole other story though...daily bouts of indigestion.  Hopefully this will end soon, thanks for the reassurance Mesirm - 

• Posted

Debra, I also took omeprazole and ranitidine for a few weeks after I stopped the Amlodipine. After some time I stopped those meds because I noticed that I was not experiencing the bloating, gerds like symptoms.  I also started eating sour dough bread and buttermilk since I do not care for sauerkraut and don't tolerate probiotics.   My gastroenterologist says these types of foods act as natural probiotics. These things helped me to get through after I stopped the Amlodipine.  

• Posted

Oh thank you for the tip...I do know that fermented foods help with indigestion like sauerkraut (which I love) but I never realized buttermilk & sourdough bread also work...will have to give it a shot...thanks again for that...do appreciate all the suggestions.

• Posted

Hi, Debra. 

I'm on my first day off Amlodipine, after 8 weeks on. First 4 weeks were fine, second 4 weeks had lots of physical and mental symptoms, including stomach issues: I felt permanently full, I had wind that travelled in 2 directions, and I often had to return to the bathroom several times in order to be/feel really empty (not my usual pattern). I'd begun to worry about bowel cancer, to be honest, although that might have been partly influenced by having been sent my two-yearly bowel cancer test pack. Oh the joys of being over 60!

That had settled, most of the physical ones had settled, and I was tempted to continue but the mental issues were horrid, so I've dropped the Amlodipine, with doctor's approval. I feel more human this morning but was aware through the night of stomach-ache, again had to make several visits, and definitely more windy. I'm assuming/hoping it's the Amlodipine's death throes but we'll see. 

Hope you settle soon. 

• Posted

Hi. I've replied to Deborah. If the moderators let me post it. Please do check for stomach cancer.. blood cancer in particular. Meanwhile take probiotics and healthy protocol. I have spoken to 6 out of 7 people with non lymphoma large B cell blood cancer of the stomach who were on these tablets. Could be a coincidence but the symptoms including bloating, wind travelling up and down, feeling full, tiredness, finally ulcers, smelly burps, finally black tarry stools.

• Posted

Blood disorder is listed as a side affect. I know come to believe that is code for blood cancer. But that's my personal opinion. It's devastating!

• Posted

Hi Debra,, I was only on this drug for one month and never again!!!!,, I had lots of different problems with this drug but not gas or bloating I just stopped this drug yesterday so might find out,,, My worst effect was insomnia and others which I have just posted,, but hope you get settled ,,Good Luck,,
  • Posted

Omg! This is the 2nd post I've seen and I'm quite distressed. Please don't panic but get to your doctors and ask for a full blood check and somehow a camera to have a look to see what's going on in your stomach or scan etc.

My mum has recently been diagnosed with stomach cancer(large B cell lymphoma) and we believe this tablet "MAY" be the cause. I have recently spoken to 6 out of 7 people who have or relatives of those passed who had stomach cancer and they too were on these tablets (could be a coincidence but I personally wouldn't touch these tablets after seeing that a side effect is disorder of the blood) Yeah right....risk of blood cancer that now reads in my mind. Mum was on other tablets 5mg and was fine. Once switched to these 10mg tablets she experienced your symptoms and kept going to the doctor who refused to change. The symptoms escalated and mum burped a lot...it smelt really bad. She started to feel tired then noticed black tarry stools which is a sign of internal bleeding. The hospital found a 10cm ulcer, which turned cancerous. Please fight to get checked up. Meanwhile follow some natural health protocols and get cbd oil. You don't have cancer...don't panic but you need to fix your body after this and repair your gut health so you don't end up in the same position. She is no waiting for a stomach removal op after 4 rounds of chemo. Good luck...do not let the doctors fob you off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.