Symptoms and B12 injection side effects

Posted , 41 users are following.

Hi all,

So finally diagnosed with pernicious anemia after a long time of knowing something wasn't right.

My symptoms over the years were:-

Big toes numb on both feet for a long time - fully investigated at time, they couldn't find a reason.

Cognitive decline in form of memory loss, forgetfulness, confusion, unable to think as quickly. Had a few random periods like this eg can't think of a common word

Freezing cold hands and feet - always thought it was poor circulation- this cleared up within a month after loading does injections

Heavy legs (not fat,) a lot of effort walking - generally thought I was unfit, cleared up after 2 weeks after loading dose- also after each injection on same day my legs felt unbelievably light maybe a bit like jelly. After 2 weeks generally light.

About half an hour after each injection I got shooting pains usually in my feet, hands, then moved on to legs and arms, sometimes just one limb. Prob only lasted about 3 minutes for each one. Felt as if each injection was felt in an area of my body.

Fatigue always complaining and sighing of being tired- many times to the doctors about this one- never got sorted until now. About 2 weeks after loading dose I went for a run, the same distance as before injections, same number of stops, but was not at all out of breath, could talk while running, massive improvement in physical ability in exercise - so was no where near as unfit as I thought I was.

I am now on 2 months after my loading does, my nails have suddenly changed from be dish to very hard, my hair unfortunately is going a bit curly/ wavy at roots, was like this about 15 years ago.

Had bad reaction to b12 injections, had a pimple/sandpaper like rash across forehead and scalp, cleared up after about 6 weeks, was pretty nasty, and I never usually get spots! Used duac cream after 4 weeks that may also have helped.

IBS like stomach problems completely cleared up since injections even slight intolerance to dairy has gone.

Periods have returned to how they used to be a long time ago, always had and been regular but they are much heavier.

My level was 119 when diagnosed, been given hydroxy form of b12.

Never found any with some of my symptoms so thought I would inform others of what to expect with treatment.

6 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi lynn1000

I had my loading injections 4 weeks ago and have suffered with pimples / sandpaper rash on my face, back, shoulders and chest. You said this cleared up after about 6 weeks. But do you get the same reaction after your 2 monthly injections ?

• Posted

Glad to hear you are being treated but not for the side effects. Yes mine only happened with the loading doses as it came on after about second or third injection so I had to get more loading injections in a short space of time knowing my rash would possibly be worse! I got prescribed Duac cream and I do think that helped, cleared up in 6 weeks. Yes I never get spots anymore with injections so hopefully you won't either! You are the only one I have read to experience this too nice to know we aren't alone!

Hopefully yours will clear up and that you feel better soon!

• Posted

Thanks Lynn maybe I should go back to the doctor and get some help with this, duac cream sounds pretty good.
    • Posted

Hello Lynn, I was just reading your thread. I too have a terrible scalp rash, all pimples and sore places. I finished my 5 loading doses 1 week ago, and the rash started about 3 weeks ago, ie. after third injection. I am trying organic tea tree shampoo but with no success. I can't get my hair cut because my scalp is a mess. Still have other symptoms too, but I wanted to let you know you are not alone. Glad it's all cleared up now. Best wishes.
    • Posted

I've been getting jelly legs since I had my second injection Alan.  I do hope this goes after I've finished my loading dose.
    • Posted

Hi Bigbsy.

i'm wondering how you are now doing - one year after starting on the b12. i followed your thread at the time?

caitlin

• Posted

Hi, I had my six loading injections. They initially made me very tired. After the 5th, I had a burst of energy for a couple of hours. After the 6th, I felt great, loads of energy is not felt for years. However, I also suffered from acne/spots - very sore! Dr - over the phone said it was my age - menopausal!!

Unfortunately symptoms started returning after two weeks. 😢

• Posted

Glad you got some energy at some point but it's a shame it faded away.

Could you be low on folic acid? Without it B12 supplements/injections won't help as they work together. Maybe when your energy disappeared you might have run out of folic acid... Hope you get it sorted. Also you may improve over the coming months keep optimistic everyone is different! 

• Posted

Hi Lynn,

I find it difficult to believe that when I had my injections it was not pointed out to me that folic acid was needed. As it happens I had done a lot of research and knew, although I did not start until about a week after.

It's more the coughing/breathing difficulties that have come bk, Active B supplements seem to be keeping the absolute fatigue at bay.

It is all very frustrating! I never thought educating GPs would be necessary...

• Posted

I also feel tired after my second injection.  I hope I feel better after the loading dose is finished.
  • Posted

Mma and homocysteine are other b12 tests which are more accurate than the b12 serum test. When b12 and folate are low homocysteine increases. High homocysteine causes plaque build up in the arteries. Once on b12 injections and folic acid, they break down the harmful homocysteine which comes out the body. The pimples are known to be homocysteine leaving the body. Treat by clearing with water regularly during the day. The bcsh guidelines state that 200 is deficient in uk and in some cases maybe within normal range. Look up functional b12 deficiency. B12 uses folate to metabolise into the body's cells. If folate is low b12 can build up in the blood giving falsely high b12 serum results. Also check ferritin (iron stores) as the body will use ferritin to produce new blood cells once b12 has metabolised into the cells. Check vitamin d and potassium too.
    • Posted

Thanks Heather that is really informative regarding the cause of the pimples and how B12 metabolises. I had no idea we could have had plaques in our arteries because of low B12 and low folic, quite worrying really! I wonder if it is linked to neurological side effects of b12 deficiency eg brain fog, memory issues etc as high homocysteine increases risk of neurological disorders like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Interesting actually because it was my constantly shaking hands (stopped after treatment) that actually led me to get diagnosed and had previously suffered with periods of brain fog affecting memory etc. I wonder why the pimples only arrived on my forehead though!
    • Posted

I get the pimples around my hairline. When starting b12 treatment your nerves are wakened up which can cause worsening neuro symptoms while repair is done by the b12.
  • Posted

Hello - 

I was diagnosed yesterday with PA and came across this post while looking into B12 injections.  My Dr. wants me to come in for weekly shots x 4, followed by what will likely be monthly shots.  I'm to go for additional blood work as well (getting that before the injections begin).

On my lab report, it says that the normal limits begin at 211, and mine are considered low at 180!  I live in the U.S., so it appears to be different, but I know I'm fatigued, dizzy/spacey and have some neuropathy as well as what may be intestinal side effects even at my levels.  My son was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease and so I will have GI tests as well.  I think that anyone with these symptoms may want to have blood work to see about CD, as that's a possible reason why the body can't store/use the B12 she's taking in.

I'm not too pleased about the rash/pimples, but if it's a release of toxins, I can handle that. On the other hand, I was quite pleased to read that your dark circles are fading - mine have always been there and certainly worse in the past few months.

Thank you for your posts!

• Posted

Hi All

I was diagnosed with B12 deficiency (anaemic and folic deficiency) after going for a number of months to GP about severe migraines. I had felt so tired for a few years and just put it down to age and frustration with migraines. I then recently started feeling cold all the time with tingling/pins and needles in my hands and feet and blurred vision. I initially passed it off as side effects of the many migraine preventative tablets I had been trying. Wen I mentioned these new symptoms my GP suggested full bloods. Because he had also changed my pill to see if that helped with migraines he asked me to take iron tablets only during the period as I might be heavier after the change of pill. All this was done before blood test results came back so I took iron tablets only during period. Didn't help whatsoever with fatigue.

When results came back on Monday I had my first B12 injection on Tuesday. Wednesday I felt no different but yesterday and today I feel like I am drunk all the time. I feel nauseous all the time and can't get my balance. The room seems to spin when I close my eyes and the nauseous feeling gets worse. When I just move my head or look in a different direction I feel all woozy.

Has anyone else felt like this after their first injection? I'm not sure if it is a dude effect of the injection or if it is because I stopped the iron tablets after my period or some other reason but it is so frustrating. I can't walk around the house at the moment without holding on to things to steady my balance. I've looked it up and anaemia or vertigo has been suggested. Can't understand why I suddenly feel like this when I've been anaemic for a while apparently.

It has been really interesting reading all your posts. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks Debbie

• Posted

Aveline I can't stay I know much about the link between Coeliac disease and B12 but it does seem to be involved in so many things. I hope you start to feel better soon and yes at least the pimples are good in a way of getting toxins out of the body. My IBS symptoms dissappeared after treatment. I know when I was pregnant their concerns were that I may have trouble digesting other vitamins but all was fine. Keep us updated how you get on?

Debbie I never had migraines it's interesting that is one of your major symptoms. I bet they don't test everyone with a migraine!

I used to feel I had heavy legs and after first injections my legs felt very jelly like and very light which made me feel a bit lightheaded and unsteady. Wonder if it is similar to that. Legs continue to feel lighter but maybe I'm used to the way they feel now so never get strange feeling anymore. Don't think my balance was quite as bad as yours though. Maybe because your symptoms were migraines.. that eyes, balance, and ears would be more affected in you with treatment.

Hope it gets better soon!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Lynn. Not sure if the migraines and B12 deficiency are separate complaints or whether my migraines are down to N12 deficiency. I've rung GP to get advice and they want me to go in this afternoon to be checked out. Will let u know what they say. I've got to feel better by Monday as I'm off work this week on holiday and have to be able to walk properly and drive by Monday.
    • Posted

Update - Just back from the GP and I have labyrinthitis (inner ear infection/imbalance) along with everything else which is causing me to feel drunk and nauseous. Apparently it is a just a coincidence it happening straight after first B12 injection. Not allowed to drive until full balance is restored. Typical. Sick of feeling so poorly with one thing and another lol.
    • Posted

Thanks, Lynn!

I had my second weekly shot yesterday and I feel ok.  The first one took a day to kick-in but I sure was sore before the positive effects. Not just sore at the injection site (upper arm) but up my shoulder & neck and down that arm. This time I don't feel that (opposite arm). I notice I'm less breathless, but I didn't really notice the breathlessness until my Dr. mentioned it!  I got winded opening a stubborn door before the shots.

My blood work came back normal for homocysteine and the rest of the panel like IF. 

My energy has increased, and I feel like I'm thinking more clearly, but still quite a way to go before any of it seems "Normal"  I get through each day without fantasizing about a nap, or actually dozing off when I sit down! No foot "vibrations" since, either! However, I have Raynaud's and from the poor circulation I don't expect all of the tingling/numbness to go away. 

No pimples (yet). No extra dizziness.

I hope you're all faring better these days, too! smile

• Posted

Hi Debbie, I had my second B12 injection yesterday and my legs feel like jelly today. They feel very heavy and I too felt a little off balance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.