Symptoms are ruining my life, help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Last year I started to show the symptoms of IBS and though i've done so many tests, I just keep getting referred for more tests and meanwhilst it has slowly destroyed my life. I got kicked out of sixth form today because of low attendance in the mornings where I always have a flare up. GP refuses to write a note or atleast print off my medical history for the school and the school also refuses to call them and instead doubt me about repeatedly asking. Please help, if there is anything I can do to control this can you please share with me because I just want my life back rolleyes

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

wello it's not easy and i must say i'm surprised at your doc refusing to write a note for you. i have it for years and years, i take hyoscine butylbromide 10mg tabs 4 times daily 1/2 an hour before food and mebeverine 135mg 3 times daily again 30 minutes before food.I hardly ever have cramps but do suffer a lot with flatulance anytime anywhere. lol. My bowels open at least 3 times every morning all before 10am, the rest of the day I am fine. i was told not to eat onions, cabbage or wheaten bread, stopped them all and then gradually re-introduced them. could you show any of this to your school or is there another doctor you could ask and if you are on medication give the information leaflet to your teachers to read. hope you get something sorted soon, good luck.
    • Posted

Yea that doctor gets a lot of complaints from other patients because she refuses to listen and has been known to be very rude. I will ask about your other meds but I cannot take mebeverine as it is unlicensed to under 18 according to my GPsad I do suffer a lot of flatulence too and frequent loose/constipated motions in the same morning too. I hadn't thought of showing them this but I shall tomorrow, thank you for your advice and for your well wishes!
  • Posted

You can ask for a copy of your records. You may have to pay a small amount for each page but you have the right. Ask at reception. Ibs doesn't show up on tests. Certain foods, stress or hormones can be a trigger. I took symprove (you can buy it direct or through Amazon). Didn't have a single attack when taking it. I have depo contraceptive injection. Levels out hormones . Try finding something you find restful, keeps your mind focused and stops you from focusing on the stress. I knit & crochet.
    • Posted

I will ask at reception when I go back next week, thank you for your advice! I have been told that it costs £20 upwards at my GPs surgery and that they arent doing any right now because my doctor is busy but maybe next week she would be able to take mine through if she is less busy hopefully. I will look into symprove and go back to taking art again as it used to calm me down a lot. Thank you very much smile
    • Posted

Take an adult with u to ur GP. Preferably a menacing one! Get the adult to tell the GP they will be lodging a complaint if a. U arent sent for further tests b. U arent taken seriously c. The GP fails to inform the Academy that you have an ongoing bowel problem. Then take the same menacing adult to school and speak to your tutor or at the very least the Deputy Head and tell them that u will be notifying ur local MP if they do not allow u to stay in compulsory education and that u cannot be refused access to higher education know medical grounds under the disability discrimination act! Sorry but I am angry as I work in education lol x
    • Posted

Haha that could definitely work, it all sounds very serious! I will speak to my mum and show her the pointers of what to say, fingerscrossed she stands her ground with the GP though, she'll be the toughest to talk to! Your school is very lucky to have a staff member like you, Thank you soo much for all your help, honestly i feel so much better right now from such a terrible day :D x
  • Posted

Hi - I used to moan about my IBSD symptoms until I started reading some of the discussions on this site, and realised that, however much I may hate the condition, I have it at a very low level.  Nevertheless, I have tried FODMAP, exclusion diets, inclusion diets, have had a colonoscopy, endless poo tests, and everything comes back normal.  The thing which has helped me most is Symprove, and it helped quickly - I saw a difference in a couple of weeks.  I don't know if it's the drink itself, or if it's psychological, but I urge you to try it.  I also take one Loperamide 250g every other day, which helps me to kind of balance things out.  I still avoid trigger foods, but I am living proof it is possible to find a way of managing this horrible condition.  Everyone who suffers from it understands how you feel, and the school's behaviour is shocking, let alone a doctor who 'doesn't have time'.  Make a fuss.  Then make a bigger one, until someone takes you and your condition seriously.  Good luck!!
    • Posted

Hello, thank you for sharing what has worked for you, I will definitely be looking into Symprove as soon as I post this smile I am not sure if i am able to purchase loperamide but if not, I will ask for a prescription to try it and see how it works!  Haha thank you for your well wishes and I will definitely be making a fuss, its controlled my life for far too long!
    • Posted

You can get the loperamide from boots. It's just Imodium smile

Can I ask, are you on the pill? With you saying dairy affects you, I'm lactose intolerant and the doctor thought my pill made me worse.

• Posted

Oh right, Ive seen those around! My summer will be me testing all these out :D no I'm not on the pill anymore, I was going to go back on it next month but if it makes it worse then I should stay away. Is it all contraceptive pills or just one type? I was on Microgynon. I will ask the GP if the pill could make it worse, thanks for the heads up!
  • Posted

what a horrible time you've had!  so glad you found this forum, only found it myself a few months ago and everyone is so supportive and helpful.

Your school needs a serious talking to, if their priority isn't educating their students they should be shut down - if only i ruled the world! lol  

I had IBSd pretty much everday for 5 years, i still remember the pain and misery so for anyone to make light of this with you just shows they have no clue what you are going through.  I can't imagine having to have gone through all of that whilst trying to get an education, so well done you for sticking with it, you must be seriously determined, never let anyone knock that out of you, be proud of youself smile 

I eventually (and only recently) found oils triggers my IBS, so if you get to a point where you've had all your tests and don't get any answers it might be worth trying.  I don't eat a lot of fried foods but I did use olive oil - or so i thought but who knows after reading about adulterated olive oils - to cook onions for bases to things and on salads and only occasionally had chips.

I was told for years that I had overgrowth bacterial syndrome.  I now know that fodmap only helped beacuse when i was following the diet i often starting cooking dishes with a homemade stock rather than frying onions.  Now i only cook using animal fats or coconut oil (which seems to be ok).  I can now even eat some processed foods on the run if i have to as long as they don't have any kind of oil in the ingredients (other than butter oil or coconut oil that is).  I can eat marshmallows of all things, so much for "bacterial-overgrowth-syndrome", i think it's their new buzz word!

One tip that i have learnt with doctors is that it helps if when too-ing and fro-ing with them you acknowledge how difficult this must be FOR THEM when you keep going to them for answers of things they can't help you with.  It may sound backward but they are only human afterall and must feel failure and frustration when they don't have the answers and whether you agree with that or not it does seem to soften them a little

I hope you find the answer soon and good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.