Symptoms back after 2 months

Posted , 4 users are following.

So short history: in April I started having some abdominal pain, nausea and burning in my stomach between navel and breastbone after taking Naproxen for 2 weeks. I don’t know if that’s what caused it, some people say it couldn’t have caused any damage in such a short period of time, so maybe it was a combination of unhealthy food and Naproxen. Went to the doctors and did blood test and stool test and nothing came up. I was never diagnosed and I was prescribed Gaviscon which did nothing. I tried Lansoprazole myself and saw no progress. After a few weeks pain and nausea went away but the burning stayed with me. I went back to my doctor and she gave me Omeprazole. The burning started to fade away slowly and I was eventually left with only a cough and some heartburn here and there. I stopped taking omeprazole slowly and the cough eventually disappeared as well. At this point I was able to eat and drink whatever I wanted.

For the past few weeks my life has been on hold more or less as I have a knee injury so I’ve been stuck in my house, watching tv and eating lots of crisps and other unhealthy stuff. One night I started getting really bad pain in my lower back which spread to my lower abdomen. The pain kind of moves around but most of it is in my right hip bone. I’ve been feeling sick as well and today the heartburn has come back as well.

My stool is also very dark in colour (really dark brown) and stinky so I don’t know if it’s blood or not. I’m really worried I might die tbh. I have an appointment on the 11th so let’s see if I make it until then.

I’m going out with a friend tomorrow so I might have some alcohol. I’m not a big drinker and alcohol never worsened my symptoms in the past so I hope I won’t die from it.

Anyone have an idea what it could be? Perhaps gastritis or GERD and some gallbladder issues?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Ask for an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. If it is dark blood in your stool, you need to be examined properly.
    • Posted

But can I just ask the doctor for it? Do I not need to wait for them to suggest it?
    • Posted

You can ask, especially if you are worried about blood in your stools. There are plenty of stomach problems you could have. 
    • Posted

My stools are lighter in colour now. They might have been darker cause of the Oreo biscuits I had. Last time I said I was worried about blood in my stool , they made me do a blood test to check for inflammation in my body. I mean if I think I have blood in my stool shouldn’t it be considered an emergency? I figured they would have told me to get an endoscopy, but no..
  • Posted

Hi Maria, see a doctor and make sure you stay pushy to get answers. From my experience,some doctors are very quick to put us on PPIs with very few or no proper exams at all.

Endoscopy and colonoscopy might be the first step.

Good luck. We are all in the same boat!

• Posted

Can you call each day in the morning and ask if there is a cancellation? To see if you can get in any quicker? 

Did they test you for c diff when they did stool sample testing? If so can you ask for it to be redone?

• Posted

I’m sorry I thought you said you had an appt Sept 11th. I was just suggesting to call each day. To see if they had a cancellation to get in sooner. C diff is not the same as h.pylori. Not sure if they do stool sample for h.pylori. I had a blood test. But, C Diff has to be done by stool sample
    • Posted

I didn’t know what you meant by C diff that’s why I said “for what sorry”. Never heard of it, had to look it up on google xx I’m feeling a tiny bit better. I could do that tho, yeah.
  • Posted

Do you experience Constipation or diarrhoea?   Maybe you have IBS.
    • Posted

If your symptoms keep coming back and everything else is negative, you may have IBS.  Abdominal pain that moves about, bowel habit change, nausea and back pain are signs of IBS.
    • Posted

Yeah I read about it, but can’t accept this diagnosis before I know for sure there isn’t anything else wrong with me xx
    • Posted

Has your doctor done testing for other causes? If he or she has, were these tests negative?  If all of them showed nothing, your doctor will diagnose IBS.  Has IBS been suggested by your doctor? If you get diagnosed with IBS, in the end you will have to accept it.  Diagnosis acceptance helped me come to terms wirh my IBS and I started to feel a lot better.  Go back to your doctor until tou get diagnosed! This is your best iption.
    • Posted

I’ve still not had any tests to see if I have gallbladder disease. I really hope I don’t as I’m really scared of getting surgery. I’m going back next week so wish me luck.
    • Posted

Ask for a HIDA scan to check your gallbladder.  Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.