Symptoms, but no sign of fistula...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I developed an anal abscess about a year and a half ago... strangely, about 4-6 weeks after my first colonoscopy. (Routine.)

Had an I&D about 3 months after it developed. Then, went to a colorectal surgeon with 40+ years of experience, in Boston, when symptoms returned.

He performed an exploratory surgery and found no fistula. Yet, a few weeks later symptoms returned. He ordered an MRI & it showed no signs of any connection between the abscess and the anus... no fistula.

I've seen a new colorectal surgeon as my 1st one is retiring... this one with 15 years experience. Both have stated numerous times that anal fistulas don't get worse. They are what they are, simple, complex, etc... from the beginning.

My symptoms have all but disappeared... minor scar tissue that occasionally flares up. But NOTHING like a year + ago.

So, with my surgeon's blessing we're taking the "wait & see" approach.

Has anyone else experienced difficulty in FINDING the fistula, like this??

The first surgeon said is possible it may only "cycle" (become symptomatic) once a year or so. And I'd have to decide if surgery would be worth the risk.

The second surgeon said she has a patient that has had one for 10+ years and has chosen, as of yet, not to treat it.

Thanks for reading this & I appreciate any feedback.

: )

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.