symptoms changing daily.....is google the culprit?

Posted , 4 users are following.

i made the mistake of googling guillain-barre syndrome this morning and now i've noticed "new" symptoms (specifically, my legs feel weak and tingly)....i'm assuming that the power of suggestion has done it again, and that i'm only feeling these things because of what i read....has anyone else had that happen to them? more importantly, does anyone else compulsively google diseases and symptoms even though you know it's the worst thing you can do if you have anxiety? i'm so frustrated with myself....i just want to feel like the "old" me, and i suppose that's why i keep looking for answers....it would appear as though i'm still in denial about anxiety being the cause of all of my physical symptoms....sorry for the rant (and self-pity)....just looking for a "yeah, i do that too"

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think so many things can have the same symptoms and anxiety can mimic a lot of them.

So think about it this way...I just thought about my legs and put my whole focus on them and my left calf hurts at little..now I'm aware of this little ache I can't take my focus off it and my anxiety rises and I start obsessive thinking.

Your legs feel weak and tingly chick because you have anxiety. And anxiety will want to keep your mind on that thought and run its course. It will cling to your vulnerability to keep this thought going.

Ask yourself...Do I really believe I have this or has my anxious mind created this doubt? 

It's a hard,vicious circle but it does get better. Your mind will grow strong eventually and be able to distinguish between what's real and what anxiety made you believe was real.

Just remember that these are just anxious thoughts and sometimes these thoughts come with feelings and sensations xxx

• Posted

I never google anything any more as it just sets me off! I have also stopped watching the news recently also, or opening anything on social media sites that is about cancer etc etc... And my anxiety is subsiding! When i am feeling stronger i will slowly reintroduce these things again but for now, i can do without it
    • Posted

I think you are doing it exactly the right way Tracie tbh. When you are not so vulnerable mentally,these things won't matter at all to you but while you are fragile,triggers are everywhere.

I try to stay off googl too. And there are certain posts on here I am unable to look at or take part in.

normally I wouldn't think twice but right now I know how vulnerable my mind is xx

• Posted

That is basically exactly what the therapist told me yesterday gillian! I have had quite a dramatic turn around in only 4 weeks of medication, and 2 weeks so far of CBT. I was a quivering wreck, unable to do the supermarket shopping and waking up every day thinking it was going to be my last, over eating, not going out the door, not enjoying anything about life, to slowly seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and actually enjoying my days... The best thing is the dizziness is starting to get under control, that was un nerving! I had never had an episode like the one i was having and i suffered for a year! It sounds ridiculous but my doctor never even suggested it was anxiety, and i never even made the connection... It sounds obvious but i just thought i was ill! But didn't know what! The therapist has explained it all to me and for me that has helped and the pills are helping me to re evaluate the situations i saw as threatening into just normal every day life.... I hate to think what would have happened if i wasn't on the medication but i think i would no longer have a job or be able to leave the house!
    • Posted

I'm so glad things are looking up chick. It's good when you finally see the improvements yourself.

My sis and aunt both said to me that they could tell I was getting better because I didn't have that haunted,feared to death look lol

Good  job I knew what they meant. I'm not 100%,I'm still scared but when I think back also to 4 weeks ago,I've moved mountains.

I cannot believe the doctor didn't pick up on anxiety. That's a joke. Luckily you have found a therapist who you can trust and who can guide you gently to the place you need to be. I'm waiting on the same thing. Hopefully it won't take to long before I get a letter with a appointment xx

• Posted

Aw thanks, this site has been great, lots of people going through the same... Very informative!  I think the doctor knew but didn't inform me, assuming i would get better without the pills. It was only when i saw a different doctor that he recommended therapy and it sort of went from there...thank goodness! I'm pleased you are feeling a bit better too!
  • Posted

Really does sound like I could have writ that post everything u said I do and feel , at I just can't get it into my head that anxiety can cause real symtoms like what I feel sometimes it's such a strange thing 
    • Posted

You will Lindsey. I was the same. Couldn't believe that anxiety causes all it does. I just thought I was going mad. 

Once I accepted it and told myself over a matter of about a week that it was anxiety,my symptoms seemed to decrease.

Im far from better..still have very bad days but now I'm having ok days to and hoping that it's only a matter of time until I'm having great days xx

• Posted

ever thought about the power of auto suggestion where what you read suggests to you that you may have the illness. Classic anxiety

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.