Symptoms for over 2 years!! Doctors still saying thyroid normal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been having bad hypothyroid symptoms for over 2 years now. Extreme tiredness, brain fog, memory loss, weight gain, chest pain. Pins and needles, costochondritis, fast heart rate, excessive sweating , anxiety and depressionthe list is endless. I mentioned to my doctor and he said there's no way it can be hypo as fast heart rate and sweating are for hyperthyroid. So I've had thyroid tests done every 3 or so months which are always over 2 highest it's been is 4.6. My most recent was TSH 2.8 and free t4 12.4 can anyone shed some light on what they think. Also have low vit D but not sure of levels

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Say to them if they think it’s not thyroid related, can they help you find out what your symptoms are down to then. Id ask if they can do further thyroid tests rt3 and antibodies. If they cannot do them, ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. You could have a conversion problem or not be suited to the medication . Are you on levothyroxine?
  • Posted

Low Vitamin D can cause all of the symptoms you mentioned and more.  Is your doctor treating you with mega dose Vitamin D?  He should have put you on 50,000 units, once a week, for 12 weeks, and sometimes longer.  An over the counter supplement will not fix a vitamin D deficiency, you need the prescription.  Otherwise.. with all of your TSH is the normal range, no doctor will diagnose, nor prescribe T4 replacement.  I would suggest to keep on getting tested the every 3 to 6 months though.. to just keep an eye on your levels.
  • Posted

Many people  seem to rely heavily on Labs like TSH alone, but I personally don't agree. I am no scientists, but that being said we all go to doctors because we don't feel well at times and we want answers. If your doctor is stuck on the lab results perhaps you need another opinion. It may not be your thyroid, but then again it could be. Shopping doctors to get an answer you desire is dangerous, but not having your concerns addressed or feeling unheard is as big a problem. I was placed on Levo after a routine PE because of a lab and  I was made sick because of that. This is not an opinion on my part, but a fact.

• Posted

Levo doesn't make people sick.. perhaps you never needed T4 replacement to begin with?  There a few people on this forum that found out the hard way, that they never actually had hypothyroidism after being placed on Levo for years.  They suffered greatly.  This is why labs are very important in making a hypothyroidism diagnosis.

• Posted

Correct and that is the point I make. There are plenty of people who suffer who do need treatment, but because they don't fit the profile they don't receive treatment. Lab work is only one tiny piece of dx and people need to be listen to or feel they are listen to. All pharmacy chemicals do have side effect potential.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.