Symptoms, Hand/Arm Pain & Swelling/ Doctor won't see till after Second Opinion

Posted , 3 users are following.

It would seem that something has to be displaced or something, I recently had pain that went up into my shoulder & neck and I had made a trip to Emergency Department for this as for me being under workers comp I have Hand Doctor I see for that but anyways I reported to the Doctor I've been seeing as your supposed to do and then almost 2 weeks later I started having swelling in my hand and arm. I tried to get in to see the Hand Doctor as the swelling was so bad that I didn't work any last week Finally on Wednesday after 2 previous days of trying to get Doctor to do something He wouldn't see me but called me in a Medrol Pack (steroids) for the swelling, I took all that and now after being off of steroids for 2 days, yesterday the whole swelling thing starting all over again. What does anyone think this could be from ? Is it possible that I do have something that has displaced and that's the reason for the swelling ? I'm trying to get some opinions, because my second opinion isn't for almost 3 weeks, November 9th and I am outta pain med's which I reported to the Doctor I have been seeing since July and all I was told by his nurse was that if in pain I needed to go to the Emergency Room that the Doctor didn't want to see me back in office until I had the second opinion to see what  second opinion doctor has to say, and I  ask for an excuse for work for last week because I got a write up for being out without an excuse from Doctor. I don't know what to think, none of this is my fault but yet it's like I'm all alone with this situation and symptoms and  I don't know what to Do. Please Help with suggestions

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You have been having more than your share of trouble with this work related accident.  I certainly hope that November 9th will give you and your doctor something more to work with.  In the time until then all that you can do is as your 1st doctor's office instructed......go to the ER for your pain.  Perhaps they can also give you the work excuse you need if your hand doctor has not provided one.  With swelling that I had in my broken foot I was told to elevate it.  RICE.  Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.  I don't know if this would help in your situation or not.  Good luck!!

• Posted

Yes Hun I really have had too many problems, the first doctor I wouldn't have picked had I did my research I promise you but you live and learn from your mistakes and I will never be guilty of that again, second opinion doctor has wonderful reputation and they say he is brilliant and he's in big demand apparently. I know that my wrist was broken just like radiologist and other 3 doctors said so I hope I find out something soon.

• Posted

devsmom,

Well I have some good news, I dumped the old doctor and picked the new one and I found out when I went on November 9th that the old doctor had missed that I had a TFCC tear on the pinky finger side and he said he could give me an injection and see if that helped anything so I had to go back to the doctor that I wanted to leave for a long time and I had a choice of keeping him and switching and I guess you can imagine the results of that, when I told him I was going with the new doctor his face turned a few shades of red. I went back on December 14th as this doctor is in great demand apparently and for good reason because I got an injection on the 14th and it's the 16th and he made sure he put enough in my wrist to help my thumb and I'm starting to feel like a new person I can move my thumb now and not feel excreciating pain like before and my wrist had started to feel better, he couldn't understand why someone would put such a restriction of no use of arm on someone who hadn't had surgery, he said he probably would've said a 2 pound restriction instead so after I heard that I started doing a little physical therapy working with a stress ball that is fairly easy to work with not stiff and doing lite dishes, sweeping floor etc... I am starting to feel like a human being again and I think this just might work. Monday when I go into work I am on restrictions of 0-10 lbs to start with, but I'm so glad I made the change, please pray for me that the results will continue this has been a long road and I hope I don't ever have to travel it again...

• Posted

Hi Eva,  Good to hear that that your "new" doctor found the problem and was able to help.  Too bad you had to wait over a month to see him again for the injection.  Today it's back to work for you and I hope all goes well.  Don't over due it.  Isn't it wonderful to be able to start doing some of those home "duties" that we probably never really liked doing in the first place?  Yes it does make one human again.  I was thrilled when I could start to drive again and leave the house.  PT was critical for me so keep up with it.  Good wishes going your way for your work week and continued progress healing.  Devs Mom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.