Symptoms not confirmed w/ Bloodwork

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have many symptoms of B12/iron deficiency including 'pins and needles' in feet & hands, extreme fatigue (can sleep 12+ hrs a day), shortness of breath, dizziness, sometimes fall, occasional depression, restless leg, and chew on ice all day. I have been taking meds for reflux for 8+ years. I had bloodwork done and B12 came back at 276 and Folate at 18. I was told this is within normal limits. The only thing that came back abnormal in CBC was Lymphs at 3.4 which may be due to arthritis or (I was told) fighting an infection.

I am 55 yr old female. I've had anemia in the past (late teens, early 20's) and this feels very similar. My doctor acts like this is all in my head. Any suggestions on where to go from here? Are there additional tests that would help? Is it time to seek out a new doctor?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, ALongWalk!

Have you considered getting your iron levels checked as well. I believe low iron causes these issues too. In my case I had low blood sugar. For some reason my sugar was hard to keep steady and kept dropping really low. Most likely it was the way I was eating. Not a balanced diet. Once I read and followed how to regulate my blood sugar I felt fine. I needed to eat healthy fats, carbs, and protein in every meal. I had pretty much the same symptoms you did. Pins and needles, restless leg, depression, anxiety, confusion, shortness of breath, dizziness, problems sleeping, eye twitching, itchy, fatigue, and more. Sometimes I still feel bad but once I eat I am ok. Have your doctor or a new one look at your levels for iron and sugar. You can also check your sugar yourself if you brought your own meter. When you get the symptoms or the worse of them check your sugar and see where they are at. Or check before each meal. It is not just the fact that you are eating but what and how you eat that matters with low blood sugar. May I ask do you also get headaches or pressure pain in your head? I use to get those also. Also, do you feel worse in the mornings?

• Posted

Hi 

my mother got severe vit b12 defiency numb feet swollen tongue red and sore ... A new young doctor spotted it as a side effect of being on a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole for years ... 

ThThese drugs can also prevent iron being absorbed propberly too ..

my mum had reg b12 jabs which sorted the problem ...

• Posted

Thanks for the responses. I didn't get iron levels checked but I'm going to ask for that the next time I speak with the doctor. I have been on reflux meds for several years (at least 12) so I suspect that may be part of my problem. I've read that the reflux meds can contribute to anemia. I had anemia years ago when I came down with a severe case mononeucleosis and my current symptoms feel very similar. 

I've also had problems with low blood sugar--it's been an issue since childhood. I always carry a packet of sugar or small candies as I can feel when it is getting low and have a history of fainting if I don't respond quickly. In the last 10 months, I've been diagnosed as 'pre-diabetic' so now my doctor (the first one) has fixated on that and is convinced that is the only issue.

I generally feel badly in the morning. I don't sleep well so I don't feel rested when I first wake up. I started using a CPAP machine about 8 months ago when I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and I thought (& was told) the sleep issues would improve quickly after that but it hasn't happened.

I do have pressure headaches almost constantly. I notice that more in the afternoon/evening. I have severe allergies so my sinuses are often a problem. I take antihistomines year round and also use a sinus rinse--which really cut back on the sinus infections. But I still have headaches and pressure most of the time. Years ago, I doctor told me I have a form of migraine headaches. They called it cluster headaches. My current strategies allow me to function, although not well.

• Posted

Hi 

me again 

I've got iron defiency anaemia my symptoms were , itching skin , terrible sleep waking 20 odd times a night ... Restless, headache, palpitations, heart beating when I just walked about , tiredness , sore mouth .. I was flagged up due to very heavy periods ... My blood count was 8 and my iron reserves 9 , really low . 3 iron tablets a day for 6 months ... But now 2 months in and my symptoms have started to disappear ... Most of the symptoms are lack of oxygen as your blood isn't carrying enough ..and your heart is having to beat like made to do its job ... Get a blood test done ASAP ... Cos you'll feel better once the tablets start building up your iron levels ..

sally 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.