Symptoms now, only when laying on my left side!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Guys

Over the last few years I've had nearly all the symptons that people post regularly on here for IBS, except needing the loo desperately! Over the last 3 months I have been on the fodmap diet, and stick to it most of the time, its helped massively however when I go to bed and try to lay on my left side, after a couple of minutes I feel uncomfortable, my stomach rumbles, I break wind, I sometimes get a sickly feeling and my stomach on that side feels quite hard. sometimes if i'm laying on my back and I turn my head to the left I also feel the same. Does anyone else experience these symptons, would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions as I have never heard of anyone who has had the same, thanks to everyone in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

IBS has different forms: IBS with constipation, diarrhoea or a combination of both as you probably know. I have IBS with constipation but I have also had IBS A where I had alternating bouts of constipation and loose stools.  When my symptoms began I found it painful to lie on either side. However this has improved and no longer happens. I have occasional stomach rumbling and bouts of gas.

The bowel is on the left side and wraps around your back and under the left side of your ribcage.  So pain can be felt under the ribs and around your back.  I have also felt pain from left, to middle and right.

• Posted

Thanks Phillipa, relief to know its not just me struggling, did you do anything specific when the pain started to ease?
    • Posted

My pain eased on its own after getting my diagnosis.  If I get a flare up due to stress, I take Buscopan and Nuropfen and it reduces pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.