Symptoms of a cold 5 months after shingles

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had PHN complications  after  shingles for the last few months, and now I get hayfever symptoms throughout the day, ie sneezing and nose is running, is this due to low immunity after shingles and has anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sometimes during and sometimes after a breakout I seem to get a sore throat and congestion. I have been doing things to boost my immunity, and although it did not prevent me having another breakout, it was way less painful and only a few red spots. In addition, I did not have any other symptoms like the flu or cold so far. I do believe it's related to the decreased immunity.

• Posted

So far as I am aware PHN is due to residual damage to nerves and the virus has long abated in your system. The jury is still out on why the virus reactivates and it is pure supposition that it has to do with low immune systems - they simply do not know what triggers it. The answer is your symptoms are actually unrelated to PHN!!!
  • Posted

I had my first outbreak of shingles July 1st of this year. I was lucky, and they only covered my left arm. Within 2 weeks the rash was almost gone but for the past 6 weeks I've been on antibiotics and/or steroids and had fever, a terrible sore throat and a bad cough with congestion.

My doctor says these things are not related although my blood work just kept showing I had a high white count.

This is a whole new experience for me and I sure hope it doesn't come back. God bless all of you who are suffering.

• Posted

Good evening yes I was diagnosed with shingles without a rash 2 weeks ago I still have a lot of itching and burning sensation left side rib cage and back rib cage is very uncomfortable the medication was Valtrex that they gave me however I'm frustrated because it makes me feel like I have been misdiagnosed because the burning sensation seem to get worse

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.