Symptoms of a drop attack

Posted , 4 users are following.

This is my first post on this forum, or this issue actually. I have had MD for 10 years but this Summer I started to get daily attacks and these are not yet fully under control. I have what I think are referred to as drop attacks but I wanted to check whether the symptoms I experience are familiar to others as I am still not sure whether they are due to Menieres or something else. 

It happens suddenly and starts with a feeling of constriction or pressure on the brain, I think in the front left hemisphere. This is accompanied by rapid left-right or rotational movements of whatever I'm looking at and a momentary partial loss of vision (slight darkness). Its also accompanied by complete loss of balance and I usually either topple over or have to hold onto something to stay upright. It only lasts a few seconds but then is always followed by several hours of vertigo. 

Does any of that sound familiar? Am getting a bit desperate!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I did wonder what a drop attack was & yes I think that describes what happens to me certainly in the first few months. I could be looking at my laptop and it would be as if someone slapped me, my head would lurch forward and I would have to hold onto something to try & stop falling. This led to a bout of vomiting and three hours of sleeping afterwards always feel fragile for the next 24 hours.  I always thought fresh air would help but I opened the front door and the street was going sideways with the cars slipping up and down which was really scary. It's not a nice feeling and you feel so helpless. 

• Posted

I have suffered from MD for 21 years. It started with feeling dizzy,then progressed to full on vertigo attacks with sickness. I was prescribed Beterhisimine tablets which helped. This went on for about seven years with absolutely no warning...Then the drop attacks started...no warning...I would feel absolutely fine I would get up and crumble to the ground as though someone just pulled a rug from under. I suffered grazing to the face,black eye.Then one day I was out shopping I was crossing a main road bang down.enough was enough. I went back to see my consultant they decided to give me a high dose of gentimisin in my ear....I have never looked back.....since then I have had my life back not one single attack no dizzy spells...I still take the beterhisimine although they say not to bother I also have a grommet in my left ear for my balance,plus a hearing aid as the injection left me slightly deaf in the ear. They say it will eventually burn out...That was ten years ago,and am so pleased. This may be an option for you...wishing you all the best....
  • Posted

I am also a long term Mennieres sufferer, this summer I started having these drop attacks, no warning and very distressing,one day I'm playing lawn bowls then I'm down, rotating eyes just like a full blown Mennieres attack the difference being after no more than 30 seconds I'm on my feet and can resume whatever I was doing albeit a little groggy , my ENT consultant was baffled and referred me to the "dizzy clinic" the assumption being that I had BPPV (you can goggle it), Anyhow they tried various head jerks to try to induce an attack all to no avail, we then went through various movements, including standing on each leg for a minute, which oddly I couldn't maintain on my left side for more than a dozen seconds, other movements included rotating my head whilst focusing on an object, to me this seemed ridiculous, considering how violent the drop attacks were, the upshot being that I was to maintain these exercises at home up to 5 times a day, about 1 to 2 minutes each time.That was 6 weeks ago, I have been fine since then, coincidence ? not sure, but I go back next Thursday for a review, now I don't have BPPV which these exercises are designed for, but who knows if they work for me they may work for you, I sure would be interested either way, I will talk it through with the physio and let you know though,what is also interesting is the ENT had never come across these drop attacks, I thought it must just be me and then a couple of posts on here showed I was not alone, perhaps we should form a sub group to help each other!!

• Posted

Hi have a word with your consultant about gentimisin injection I had a high dose 10 years ago after suffering from drop attacks...so pleased to say I have not even suffered from any dizzy spells...it worth having a word.
  • Posted

Thanks for the responses. It sounds as though others are getting similar symptoms. I have now been referred back to an ENT consultant for some further tests so this time will give them a more detailed run-down of my symptoms.

The referral is because I've been having an extended vertigo attack. Usually they last anything from a few minutes, (unusual) to about 8 hours, (more common), but this latest attack has been continuous since Sunday afternoon. Its now Friday afternoon. My GP prescribed Stugeron, also known as Cinnarizine as the usual betahistine tablets were having no affect at all, even in double doses. This latest drug has taken the edge off the vertigo so that I can function, but its still there with all the attendant issues of dizziness when moving my head about, not feeling fully present, not being able to walk in a straight line, impaired mental function etc. A worrying development from my point of view and I'm wondering now how long its going to last. My ears and sinuses don't feel any more blocked than usual and my hearing is the same as ever. Oh well. Day by day....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.